Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-27-2005, 01:30 AM

Default 1/2 PokerStars: Would you call on the river?

Before anyone mentions that 1/2 is a microlimit, I am aware of this, but it's one limit below 2/4 and I am hoping that by posting this hand here I will get superior feedback. I'm also posting it in the microlimit section.

MP1 is typical 1/2 fish. I observed some hands he played and had made the following notes before this hand occurred:

Moron who only limps preflop, doesn't even reraise with KK, then raises on the turn AJ6A and is lucky that the preflop 3-bettor had QQ
Bets into a preflop raiser from out of position with just ace high, continued the bluff through the river and was called down.
raised preflop, probably with just high cards
limped in with 99 and made no bets on A25 flop,

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, MP1 calls.

River: (14 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds, SB folds
Final Pot: 14 BB

So it looks like he has AK, based on his check on the flop and his bet on the river after calling on the flop and cold-calling a bet and checkraise on the turn. Of course, I am also beaten by AQ, any other random king, or any pocket pair tens or higher, or by 98. Plus, there is the small blind, who has checked but could still have me beat. I showed this hand to a friend who insisted that it was a terrible fold, so I am posting the hand here to get the opinion of others. I know, it's a $27 pot and it costs just $2 to call, but the betting sequence made AK seem like such a likely hand, and the probability of him bluffing in that situation was very slim if not zero, so I folded.
After the SB folded I announced my hand and the SB said he had AT, the other player's hand remains unknown. What would you do?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: 1/2 PokerStars: Would you call on the river?

[ QUOTE ]
Moron who only limps preflop, doesn't even reraise with KK,

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold preflop, not close.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:41 AM

Fold preflop. This thread belongs in the micros and you'll get great advice there.

Rob
Old 10-27-2005, 01:51 AM

I was thinking of only putting this thread in micros, but then I noticed a thread entitled 100/200 A9 and it got a lot of replies but I didn't see any by a moderator so I figured you guys are lenient about what limits can go in here, I mean 1/2 is a lot more like a small stakes game than 100/200, just as micro play usually resembles small stakes play more than high limit play does.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of only putting this thread in micros, but then I noticed a thread entitled 100/200 A9 and it got a lot of replies but I didn't see any by a moderator so I figured you guys are lenient about what limits can go in here, I mean 1/2 is a lot more like a small stakes game than 100/200, just as micro play usually resembles small stakes play more than high limit play does.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 100/200 thread was instructional. We tend to have a bit of leniency when threads are meant to generate good discussion. No offense meant to your hand, but it won't generate the sort of discussion that generally allows a wider range of limits in the post.

Rob