Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 12:43 PM

Default KQo, very large pot

the game is very loose and somewhat aggressive. preflop raises with hands like ATo were rather frequent.
I'm a beginner seeking to improve my play.
What do you think about my play?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (14 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (34 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 39 BB

Just ask if you want to know the outcome.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: KQo, very large pot

Guten Tag!

I think you could raise this preflop. That can change the dynamic of the hand. The limp is not horrible though.

I like flop play. You have the equity (8 outs to the nuts), so ram and jam! However, you are likely up against a hand with a redraw to beat you, so you should step lightly after that (if you don't hit).

You overplayed this on the turn. You should just check and call. Your equity has dropped to around 17%.

There is no way your king high is good on the river. I know the pot is huge, but so is the payday for a lottery. That doesn't mean you should ine up to buy a ticket!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:57 PM

I would have bet-called the turn, and folded the river. I don't think King-high's going to win many 40BB pots. You can dream about it though.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:03 PM

I like the flop bet/cap, but I would slow way down on the turn, since your equity drops a lot, and at least one (probably more) players already have good made hands who will be raising your bet. A turn check/call (if that ends up happening) screams out that you're on a draw, but the pot is big enough and multiway enough that I don't think you need to worry about hiding your hand.

With that many players around, no way is a king high going to win.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have bet-called the turn, and folded the river. I don't think King-high's going to win many 40BB pots. You can dream about it though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you bet this turn?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:20 PM

Here's what I would do differently:
Raise pf
c/c turn
fold river

-Jaran
Old 11-05-2005, 01:22 PM

The allmighty Transformer has it right on this one.

(Sorry, the mod icon reminds me of a the trademark symbol. Couldn't resist.)
Old 11-05-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The allmighty Transformer has it right on this one.

(Sorry, the mod icon reminds me of a the trademark symbol. Couldn't resist.)

[/ QUOTE ]
It should, its Galvatron!
Old 11-05-2005, 01:35 PM

Now thinking about this hand, I'd say the river play was some sort of tilt. Folding was the only option.

I see now that the turn was way overplayed, I tried to reduce the field with my bet to protect my hand. Which doesn't make any sense considering my drawing hand, which excels in multiway pots. aww it hurts [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Thanks for all this advise, I'm glad to have hit at least a correct flop play.
I'll also add the preflop raise to my arsenal. Actually I'm playing with SSH on my lap, which would've told me to raise preflop.

It didn't occur to me that my pot equity dropped much after the turn. But it's clear now.

Seems to me as if I'm lacking concentration. 3 mistakes in one hand is way too much.

btw. the pot was won by a straight 7-J.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:45 PM

raise preflop, flop is good with so many players, check/call the turn and fold the river.