Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 02:31 AM

Default I have a quick question about a cardplayer writer, Ralph Slotboom

I used the search for this and it doesn't appear to have been asked recently, so I figure I can ask.

I am trying to read my way through all the articles on card player and he has a lot of them so he's one of the people I am reading first. I am sure Mr. Slotboom is a good player and way better than me, but is it just me, or is his advice in many places pretty bad? I don't want to be a jerk or totally wrong or anything here, so that's why I am asking the question. If you all think he's great, then I have to re-evaluate my thinking on him.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Re: I have a quick question about a cardplayer writer, Ralph Slotboom

I've read all his stuff and i think it's not bad. It helped me with the blind defense
Old 02-08-2005, 02:36 AM

Do you have any particular advice which troubled you?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:37 AM

Yes, I thought his AK advice was quite bad. Sometimes I think he hasn't really thought things through. But I'm probably wrong and need to re-think his advice.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:42 AM

Personally, I've found his overall limit philosiphy to be too tight. But he's an articulate writer, and generally has very sound reasoning for his play when he discusses specific hands in his articles. Ianco15 had a good question - do you recall anything specific in one of Rolf's columns you had a particularly difficult time swallowing?

As with any material written about poker, don't just blindly follow Rolf's justifications. It helps to constantly ask yourself if you feel the same way as the writer and why/why not.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used the search for this and it doesn't appear to have been asked recently, so I figure I can ask.

I am trying to read my way through all the articles on card player and he has a lot of them so he's one of the people I am reading first. I am sure Mr. Slotboom is a good player and way better than me, but is it just me, or is his advice in many places pretty bad? I don't want to be a jerk or totally wrong or anything here, so that's why I am asking the question. If you all think he's great, then I have to re-evaluate my thinking on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is very good at WEBoggle.

scrub
Old 02-08-2005, 02:43 AM

you know I just read a couple more of his articles and they were really good, so okay you can ignore me now. I think the AK discussion threw me.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:44 AM

Rofl says you should fold in the BB with AKs if a decent player raises UTG. Nuff said.

Telling someone they play like Rofl is the ultimate insult.

Edit: I spell his name Rofl on purpose, because rofl is what I do while reading his articles.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:46 AM

I believe that some of the games he plays in (Europe) have ridiculous rakes. Therefore, he doesnt want to play HU with only a small edge. I could be wrong here though.
But he has stated that his past articles have flaws in them and that he doesnt think/play the same today. I think his Omaha advice is quite good.

-light
Old 02-08-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I thought his AK advice was quite bad. Sometimes I think he hasn't really thought things through. But I'm probably wrong and need to re-think his advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I read that article. Was this the advice to limp in sometimes with AK? If so, it is always a terrible idea in small stakes. However, I think the advice was geared toward higher stakes which I am much less familiar with. I think he backed up this advice with something about disguising your hand. Do you have a link to this article because I would really like to read it again, so I can comment on it more in depth.