Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: I have a quick question about a cardplayer writer, Ralph Slotboom

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I thought his AK advice was quite bad. Sometimes I think he hasn't really thought things through. But I'm probably wrong and need to re-think his advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I read that article. Was this the advice to limp in sometimes with AK? If so, it is always a terrible idea in small stakes. However, I think the advice was geared toward higher stakes which I am much less familiar with. I think he backed up this advice with something about disguising your hand. Do you have a link to this article because I would really like to read it again, so I can comment on it more in depth.

[/ QUOTE ]

no he said you should FOLD it in the SB to an UTG raise with nobody in between. his arguments for this position didn't make a lot of sense to me. I think that I reraise oh about 100% of the time in that spot, but wtf do I know lol?

he seems good on lots of things, but sometimes his advice seems weird and suited only to anomalous hyper tight high stakes games.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no he said you should FOLD it in the SB to an UTG raise with nobody in between. his arguments for this position didn't make a lot of sense to me. I think that I reraise oh about 100% of the time in that spot, but wtf do I know lol?

he seems good on lots of things, but sometimes his advice seems weird and suited only to anomalous hyper tight high stakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]

That advice does seem odd. However, I can see how it makes sense. If the utg raiser is uber-tight and he literally never raises with less than kk preflop then a fold would be correct. However, a situation with those exact perameters does not arise often as few people will only raise kk or better. So I dont see how could you fold AK in this situation in almost any circumstance.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:09 AM

I'm pretty sure Rolf is talking about a professional player who raised UTG, and its folded to you in the SB. This makes it a little better, but it is still pretty tight in my book. AKs is a monster for me, no matter what the circumstances.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:34 AM

He is very good at WEBoggle.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

GoT
Old 02-08-2005, 04:36 AM

I have a quick question about a cardplayer writer, Ralph Slotboom

It's actually Rolf, but due to some of his laughably bad published limit hold'em advice, I like to refer to him as ROFL Slotboom.

GoT
Old 02-08-2005, 05:35 PM

Hi Hulk,

On this site, there has been quite a bit of discussion about the AK situation you mention. I have mentioned some of these discussions in two articles about them (articles that are still available in the CardPlayer archives), and also fairly recently there has been lots of dicussion about it. Just do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find the flames! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, glad to hear that you liked at least some of my stuff, and if you have any questions / comments, or if there are some things you don't understand or simply disagree with, you can always contact me through my site.

Rolf (please call me Rolf!) Slotboom
www.rolfslotboom.com
Old 02-08-2005, 06:06 PM

Rolf, I'm sure that when you wrote that AK column you knew that there were people who wouldn't like the advice. I think it is great that you have the balls to write things that you know that some people will flame, rather than being like so many other poker writers and just spewing out cliched and uncontroversial platitudes and tripe that is so intentionally vague as to make it safe and unassailable, but also useless. It's clear that your advice is making people think, and that will help people's games much more than taking the easy route of just telling them what they already know or what they want to hear. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:41 PM

Thanks for your kind words, Bobby - I appreciate it.
Rolf.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Hulk,

On this site, there has been quite a bit of discussion about the AK situation you mention. I have mentioned some of these discussions in two articles about them (articles that are still available in the CardPlayer archives), and also fairly recently there has been lots of dicussion about it. Just do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find the flames! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, glad to hear that you liked at least some of my stuff, and if you have any questions / comments, or if there are some things you don't understand or simply disagree with, you can always contact me through my site.

Rolf (please call me Rolf!) Slotboom
www.rolfslotboom.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about the Ralph thing--that probably drives you insane. As I read through the rest of your stuff, I had a few minor quibbles like I do with every writer, but yes it was the AK discussion that really threw me. Probably just really different games we play in.

Thanks for your response.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I thought his AK advice was quite bad. Sometimes I think he hasn't really thought things through. But I'm probably wrong and need to re-think his advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

was his AK advice about hold'em or PLO?