Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: rolf slotboom quiz question:

A few comments.

- Folding is bad here

- Kudos to Rolf for his appearance. I frequently disagree with his advice....but he is very professional and polite in his posts here in spite of the criticisms he takes. Mucho respect for the man. His column in card-player is one of the few that I still enjoy reading.

- Shykovsky's ideas are bizarrely weak-tight and bad. I posted one of his articles in the SS-forum a couple months ago. In it, he folded his AA in a big pot on the turn because he was sure he read his opponent as having quad-9's. It was ridiculous.
I've read a couple more of Shykovsky's columns and thought they were bad too.
He is the master of folding reasonably strong hands to minimal resistence in huge pots to save 1 mesely bet.

- From what I have read of some posters who have played in Europe (either from the U.S. and travelling there....OR native Europeans) the games there can be REALLY wild.
I've never played in Europe so I don't know..but I thought I had read reports of really crazy/wild games in vienna, sweden, elsewhere.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:24 PM

"and mike l. i knew there was no way in hell you would lay down JJ in this position"

think again. ive layed down JJ for a raise (and correctly i might add) against certain players on more than one occasion.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:43 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Rolf,

Keep this post handy. You may need it about every 4-6 months.

b
Old 01-01-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Stealthcow,

Just a couple of months ago, there was some furious discussion on the advice in this quiz, and also when the quiz was published in the now demised Poker Digest magazine (more than four years ago, early or middle 2001) the advice I gave was questioned on more than one occasion. In this thread a few months ago I basically acknowledged that I wasn't too pleased with the advice in this quiz myself, and that especially with the changed game conditions since the Internet boom most of the advice doesn't apply anymore - and that in fact, even when it was published, some of it was very questionable at times. (For my exact comments, just check out the archives.) Because the quiz is still available on Poker Pages, some people think it is a new piece, but it is not. A newer quiz is one that can be found on the CardPlayer site. This is a quiz from early 2003, and I like this one a bit better than the first, even though also there I think I could have done much better. Anyway, hope this helps.

Rolf Slotboom
www.rolfslotboom.com

Rolf Slotboom
www.rolfslotboom.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Woooo, Rolf is in da house.
Rolf I've been reading a lot of your columns and unlike most of the 2+2s here I think your advice are gold. I don't find myself disagreeing with you often and when I do it challenges me to focua a lot of different aspects of my game that I've never thought about before. Keep up the great work.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:17 AM

Thanks Pete - I appreciate it.
Rolf.