Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Hurricane Relief + Donations - How You can help! Please read...

Hey Everyone,

I've been talking with my college roomate who had just begun attending Tulane Law School in New Orleans. He was lucky, and was able to evacuate before the hurricane hit, but there were literally thousands of people who were stuck in the city when the dam broke and the city flooded. Additionally, the coast of Mississippi has literally been devastated as well.

I wish there was something I could do - but I'm in NY and donating my time is impossible. Also, sending materials is expensive and inefficient. So, in the spirit of
this thread , I played 1 extra hour of poker for the month of august, and I'm donating that hour's potential earn to the American Red Cross's Hurricane Relief Fund.

Donating is easy - I hooked up my Neteller account to my checking account, so I cash out the 1 hour's worth of $ into my checking account, and use my bank card to donate it online through the Red Cross's secure donation online form.

According to the "Session Notes" Tab of pokertracker, my hourly earn for august was $185.84, so $186 is going to the Red Cross for the month of August.

I would encourage you to do the same. If you don't wish to give to the red cross, give to another charity of your choice - most of them have an online method for depositing funds.

Hopefully we can get a group of players together and make this a monthly thing, donating to whichever need is most pressing. I realize that individually it will not be much, but, like preflop mistakes - a little in abundance makes alot.

Thanks,

Surf
Old 09-04-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Hurricane Relief + Donations - How You can help! Please read...

Excellent idea, I'd like to add on if I may..

I'm in Houston, we've taken in the bulk of the refugees in the Astrodome, the convention center, hotels, apartments, and tens of thousands of homes of people gracious enough to take in strangers. The refugees here are all so thankful, and so humble, and so different from the thugs in N.O. looking to profit from this disaster. There has not been a single instance of violence or looting in Houston, these people just want a chance to start over. The desperation of their situation cannot be overstated -- most of the refugees here have a couple sets of clothes and maybe a blanket, and that is it. Many need medical treatment after having to flee through filthy floodwaters. They need our help in any way possible.

I've already donated all I can afford at this time, $250 through my company which they matched. I wish I could donate all poker winnings for the rest of the year, but I count on that as part of my income, so my plan is to donate my most profitable week of poker each month for the rest of the year.

I'd just like to encourage everyone to do whatever they can because I've seen what these people are going through first-hand. It is so much worse than it looks on television. Even if you can't donate money or time, just take some old clothes to your local Salvation Army. We can all do something to help, and after meeting many of the refugees here in Houston, I can promise you they would be kicking in whatever they could for any of us if we were in their situation...
Old 09-04-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish I could donate all poker winnings for the rest of the year, but I count on that as part of my income, so my plan is to donate my most profitable week of poker each month for the rest of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You are one generous man. Poker is my main source of income right now, but hopefully I'll be able to donate more than 1 hour a month...it's a start though.

Surf
Old 09-05-2005, 12:34 AM

bump for the nighttime crowd.

Surf
Old 09-05-2005, 01:13 AM

I don't make as much per hour as the mid-high crowd, so I donated my profits for today at .5/1NL. $215.09 going to the Red Cross's Hurricane 2005 relief fund.

Red Cross's Credit Card Donation Page
Old 09-05-2005, 03:45 AM

Nice!

Lets get everyone who makes a donation to post in the official donation thread.

Surf
Old 09-05-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't make as much per hour as the mid-high crowd, so I donated my profits for today at .5/1NL. $215.09 going to the Red Cross's Hurricane 2005 relief fund.

Red Cross's Credit Card Donation Page

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice!

Lets get everyone who makes a donation to post in the official donation thread.

Surf
Old 09-05-2005, 07:48 AM

Default Give a little back

I like your intention. I donated a little to the Canadian Red Cross to help out with the Relief. I am going to try to play all the tournies that help out with the relief effort.

I encourage all the pros that make a killing a month should give a little back to world by donating. Even if it's 10 bucks, it would make a huge difference to those starving people that your 10 bucks help out.

Richard

Richard
Old 09-05-2005, 10:16 AM

Canadian Red Cross Link for donations for all us canucks
Old 09-06-2005, 05:02 AM

My weekend didn't go as well as planned, so I kicked in my party reload bonus as well. The total donation came to $400 (I rounded up).

For those who can't afford to donate chunks of change in the hundreds (or more), or who for whatever reason can't/don't want to donate via credit card, I discovered while I was making my donation that you can give to the Red Cross (and other charities) via the Coinstar machines at some of your local grocery stores. Here's a Link with the details. So you can always raid the change jar or dig around under your couch cushions & find something to give. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]