Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Why can\'t we write?

I don't care - it lets me know who I'm dealing with.

Anyone who misspells a word in the damn subject of a post would fail an IQ test.

~D
Old 10-27-2004, 02:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I don't care - it lets me know who I'm dealing with.

Anyone who misspells a word in the damn subject of a post would fail an IQ test.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean like the salt cracka's post about "deoderant"?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:41 AM

There have been others as well.

~D
Old 10-27-2004, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain to me what is going on? Are we in trouble?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean, " Our we in trouble?"
Old 10-27-2004, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain to me what is going on? Are we in trouble?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean, " Our we in trouble?"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I particularly like the space after the opening quotation mark. Very nicely done.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:38 AM

As prolly one of the worst offenders when it comes to this matter I figured I would chime in.

The biggest reason is that I type in an unconventional style (think 2 finger "hunt and peck" but at 40wpm) and as such generate alot of typos that I simply dont bother to fix. As long as what I typed out can convey my meaning, I honestly dont care if I typed every word correctly.

I've got some mild dyslexia working for me, so [censored] always gets jumbled in my head when it comes to spelling, and I just plain suck at it. I think its an idiotic notion that just because someone can't spell means they "would fail an IQ test". I know I'm not the smartest person on these boards, but there isnt one person here who I could enter into a convorsation with about anything and have them make me feel stupid.

I just don't care. I know the differance between "your" and "you're" and "to" and "too" and "lose" and "loose". And guess what? So does everyone else. So when my typing is trying to keep up with what I'm thinking in my head and a "your" comes out instead of a "you're" cuz its a hell of alot quicker to type, I dont waste my time going back to fix it because everyone knows what I mean, and the meaning is all I care about trying to get across
Old 10-27-2004, 04:12 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I know the differance between "your" and "you're" and "to" and "too" and "lose" and "loose". And guess what? So does everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is simply not true. maybe it is for you, but a lot of people think that lose is really "loose".
Old 10-27-2004, 04:37 AM

I'm totally on board with this post. Sour grapes is what it is. I didn't want to spell it correctly anyway. BS! It is annoying when people can't spell. Honestly, you've read these words over and over in your lifetime and it doesn't register in your head that you've been spelling it wrong?

Then and than is THE most misused combo of all time.

Smokers and bad spellers are very similar. They both act like the complainers have no right to complain and there isn't anything wrong with what they are doing.

Annoying is the bottom line.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't we write?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the majority of people read very little and what they do read is more often than not poorly or haphazardly written.

As a small side note, it was not until the nineteenth century that spelling became somewhat standardized in American English. For example, if you read the original (unedited) journals of Lewis and Clark you will find unique and brave approaches to spelling (and also in Jefferson’s and other letters of the day). It was not then considered really bad form or indicative of lack of intelligence to spell words as you saw fit, as is so often the case today. As is usual with 'movements' the standardized spelling disease was (is) carried too far.

But in general, I agree with your comments. I sometimes have trouble with spelling, punctuation, and some grammar, a family trait that I inherited from my parents. Which is strange as both my parents are very well read. Perhaps it is a defective gene.

-Zeno
Old 10-27-2004, 07:16 AM

I just got done reading you're post, and I think your right. Too many people don't know how to spell correctly, they just have a lose understanding of English grammer. I think there just too lazy to care, or they're education background isn't very good. Another thing really gets me is when people don't capitalize things, or capitolize the wrong things. Their has to be a way to make them loose they're habits.

Also, I apologize for this post, because I know how annoying something like that is to read [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]