Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 04:43 PM

Default TPTK and Overpairs - How to not lose mony with them?

Hello Everyone.

Sorry if this has been discussed but I haven't been able to find anything concrete.

The main thing which cuts me straight from my profit besides bad beats, is not knowing when to make the right judgement call with an overpair or TPTK. I play on NL50 ring tables where I find it can be incredibly difficult to figure out what to do with TPTK or especially an overpair(AA,KK) on certain boards due to how wide of a range of hands you can put your opponents on, due to the very weak play, yet you still get caught up with the legitimate hands way more then you would like(totally destroys profit). It would be simpler to just make it a general rule to not commit a whole stack to a single pair, but obviously it's situation specific.

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Lets have a Discussion.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: TPTK and Overpairs - How to not lose mony with them?

bump
Old 09-12-2005, 08:05 PM

Poker tracker helps. Aggression numbers help. Their VPIP helps. It all adds up to if you're good or not. Also, learning to recognize certain typical lines of monsters helps. Check minraises are extremely scary if you have an overpair or TPTK. Preflop action helps: If Villain limps in UTG and then calls your sizeable raise from the button and checkraises you on the flop, there's a pretty good chance he has a pocket pair and hit a set. It's really just hand reading ability - that's what distinguishes between the men and the boys.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:12 PM

First off, reads and stack sizes are very important. If you bought in with a small stack, less than say 50BB, den I believe you should rarley fold TPTK unless its pretty obvious you mite be beat. For isntance AK on a board of 10JK same suit.

However with a big stack, you're risking alot more money, so tend to play more cautiously. In general, I try to my best to play small pots. Playing on a tight table, if you get called by more den two callers with TPTK or an overpair on a realitivey coordinated board or a board with 2 or more face cards, play very very cautious and more often den not fold to a check-raise.

On a looser table, 2 or more callers against your TPTK/overpair shouldnt alarm you as much but you should still be worried. Also, on loose table, watch out for the loose and passive opponets, whenever they start turnning up the aggression you have to watch out.

Just some basic things, maybe it will help you out.

- good luck
Old 09-12-2005, 08:16 PM

dont lose 100bbs with TPTK or an overpair without a stellar read. keep the pots small and if u run into any real resistance u r probably beat. not too many people are getting crazy with one pair hands and thats all TPTK beats.