Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Party Speed Tourneys----Game Strategy

It seems like you need some looser variant of Sklansky's move-in system, which is basically all about the gap concept. This seems like it's clearly a structure where you'd want to just have some bot decidining when to go all-in... probably not much actual thought involved.

And I think he was laughing with you not at you [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2004, 02:40 AM

Default my bad

[ QUOTE ]
And I think he was laughing with you not at you

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I just read sarcasm where there was none. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If it was a sarcastic comment, however, I'd still like to know what I'm missing. I'm here to learn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Speed Tourney (Fold\'em Hold\'em)

I am certainly no expert but I’m willing to add my observations into mix from my limited experience (5 tourneys: ITM 3x placing 48, 13, and 8 respectively).

I like to play my regular game, being TAG until the blinds are 100/200. I think it is important to play as fast as possible while the blinds are low to build your stack. Play your premium hands and try to double/triple up at every opportunity.

As in regular tourneys, once you get into the upper blinds, there are good stealing opportunities if you have a healthy stack and good position. Many people go into survival mode and don’t want to risk busting out. You can take advantage of that, especially if you have them covered. Use your stack and 4-5x bet or push PF.

Around the first break, shortly before or after, go into “Stall” mode. You want the blinds to increase as much as possible, busting out other players to ensure that you make the money. Keep close attention to your table number and the total number of players left. This will help you to decide if stalling before the blinds come to you is beneficial. You want the table to break before you have to play your blinds. This way, you have a chance at missing the blinds at your new table and outlasting a few more spots.

Also, pay attention to the stacks left and right of you. If you have the bigger stack, even if you lose your hand, chips will be returned to you that the other blind could not cover.

You will now be playing “Fold’em Hold’em.” Even if you get AA, you must fold. PP’s are cracked all the time by rags making straights, flushes and boats. (Only play this if you have position and have the blinds covered.) Survival is critical above all else. Every position you advance is more money in your pocket.

When the blinds have maxed out and the tables have gone to Hand for Hand, there is no point in stalling. Fold, Fold, Fold every hand as soon as possible.

TAG, LAG, Stall, Fold’em Hold’em are all key strategies to placing higher in this tourney.

Again, play very close attention to your table number, number of players remaining, and the stacks of your adjacent players. And did I mention Folding? I think it is a crap shoot of a tourney but an extremely fun two hour ride.

GL, Steve
Old 10-12-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Speed Tourney (Fold\'em Hold\'em)

I played in one of these and can't imagine doing it again.

The problem was that people started stalling using their full time bank 150 spots from the money. I went from having a reasonable stack after picking up quite a few chips, to having a blind-sized stack in a single orbit. I was totally powerless to do anything about it, since I picked up nothing better than something like 9 high in that orbit.

Silly. Can't see how there's anything you can do about it if people choose to do that.

eastbay
Old 10-12-2004, 09:18 PM

these things suc.................... they need to limit decision time to like 10 seconds.......... then I might be interested. Played one... enough for me.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:46 AM

I ran into the same BS starting with the first orbit, Id play again if they limited the time to 10 or 15 seconds and no time bank. Otherwise its a crapshoot
Old 10-13-2004, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to play my regular game, being TAG until the blinds are 100/200. I think it is important to play as fast as possible while the blinds are low to build your stack. Play your premium hands and try to double/triple up at every opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you play your regular game for about 12-15 minutes? With blinds going up every 3 minutes you aren't going to be able to wait around for premium hands. I played one of these tourneys and you may as well buy lottery tickets with your entry fee. I also don't recall a time where a 4-5xBB bet was even possible after the first 30 minutes unless you were the chip leader. In fact, late in the tourney the chip leader usually only has 2xBB. My advice is to avoid these tournaments.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you play your regular game for about 12-15 minutes? With blinds going up every 3 minutes you aren't going to be able to wait around for premium hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but when you do get your hand there's a good shot at doubling or tripling up because a lot of folks will go all-in with Ace-rag, King-rag, or PPs. Blinds do go up fast and that is why it is so important to play as fast as possible during the first 5-10 levels. If you don't hit your hand early, then it is time to turn LAG in the later rounds and GAMBOOL.

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't recall a time where a 4-5xBB bet was even possible after the first 30 minutes unless you were the chip leader.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This only works if you are the chip leader or at least outstack the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
My advice is to avoid these tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

For most pros, semi pros, and grinders - this is good advice. This is not poker. Poker is about work, patience, +EV plays, and profit.

These tourneys are for casual players looking for entertainment. Not so much a crapshoot but more like pulling the handle on a slot machine after feeding in $33.00. Hopefully you hit your line after the reels stop spinning.