Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2004, 07:39 AM

Default Q10o opportunity on the button. From bluff to value bet

Location: Hideaway Card Room in Aurora, WA (near Seattle, WA)
Stakes: $10/$20 still the land of the $2 drop with/ $1 jackpot. Only place in the United States with that cheap a drop. What a deal!! Only bad part is the dense smoke. Seems I'm the only player who doesn't light up [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Players: Loose and poor. Patience is key.

I have an image of a very tight poker player. The stakes are often raised and sometimes 3-bet and capped for the heck of it. So I fold everything in sight except for premium cards or small pocket pairs, which will pay off handsomely when I hit. Opponents have taken notice that I am not one their local loosy-goosy players.

I have Q10o on the button and it's folded to LP who limps and CO folds. LP is really loose. He called a MP raise (pocket 99) with 75o in the CO and won. He has also been raising everything in site: Anything with an A, or any two paints, any pair with the obvious premium cards. So I'm 99% sure I have a better hand than him. I look left to see how the blinds will react to a raise. They don't look happy, so I raise and they fling their cards to the muck in unison. Good. Heads up.

The flop comes 689 rainbow. Not a bad flop, checked to me. I bet and he calls. This call means nothing as he will call anything on the flop.

Turn comes a blank, something below a 6. Checked to me, and I bet and he calls. Hmm. Maybe I'm in trouble or maybe something is cooking. I have to plan to see if a river bluff will be +EV against this guy. I think I have to bet a river blank.

River comes a beautiful Q. Now I'm sure I have the best hand. He checks, I bet, he calls. He shows Q7 for the flopped open-ender with a Q, which is dominated.

Garland
Old 04-16-2004, 02:30 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Q10o opportunity on the button. From bluff to value bet

Old 04-17-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Q10o opportunity on the button. From bluff to value bet

Garland:

You still in town? I play at the Hideaway occasionally and would like to meet someone from the board.