Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Flopped a straight, slow played it and saved my self an early exit

Live tourny yasterday, $135 buy in, 120 players started doen to about 50. I have about 6,000 chips, blinds are 150/300. I am BB with 89c, the chip leader (huge stack limps in) so does the button, I checked. Flop comes 10c js and qc, I think "Bingo", I'm gonna get paid on the chip leader expense, I check, so do the two limpers. The turn comes kh, I did not feel good about this card, my straight is most likely no good anymore but still have the straight flush draw. I check, the big stack bets 800, the button folds, I think about it for a minute, should raise here? nah, if the river comes blank I'm dead maybe, so I just called. The river is blank, I check he goes all in, here I was sure he has the ace so I think about it for few seconds and then turn my cards and say, it sucks when you flopp the straight and lose, he goes "I flopped it too" and shows AKc!!! I was drawing dead on the flop and did not know it. Slow playing it saved my tournament. Everyone at the table said that they would have bet the flop and go broke, I felt good about the way I played it, what do you think?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Flopped a straight, slow played it and saved my self an early exit

Would you still feel good about the way you played it if he showed AA instead? What if he showed KQ? What the villain shows, barring that he shows that you acted correctly on a read, shouldn't affect how you feel you played. Should I be happy about how I played if I fold KK and two players go allin with QQ and JJ and QQ hits a set? No. That's results-oriented. You should HATE that you passed up being allin against two underpairs. Same here. What you should be happy about is the K on the turn saving your bacon, not that you played the hand well. I don't like slowplaying the assend of the straight in an unraised pot.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:36 PM

I think this is a little results oriented.

HoH 1 warns against slowplaying a potentially sucker-straight, and I tend to agree. I would have bet the flop, and may very well have gone broke there, unless AK slowplayed, then I might have been able to get away from it on the turn, depending on whether I have odds to chase the flush.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:56 PM

assuming you bet the flop, say he raises you on the flop.... do you go all in then?? is that what u mean by going broke?
Old 10-19-2005, 04:00 PM

Would you not call the all in with a straight and the straight flush draw? That's what I meant by going broke, I would have called the all in.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:46 PM

I don't like your play.
I would bet 1/3 to 1/2 the pot after flop.
You need to know where you are when you have the low end straight.

When a turn card K hit, I would think I am beaten if a big bet was bet into me. I would forget about my made straight and use pot odds to see if my flush draw warrant a call.
(of course you are drawing dead in your case).

You are drawing dead in both straight and flush. What a bad luck.

People don't raise with AK in your table?