Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Beginning backgammon

So I want to start playing backgammon, I've played some on the net to understand the rules but now I want to understand the game. What should I start practicing or what should I do to improve my game? Any links or something?
Thanks
Old 07-17-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Beginning backgammon

install and play with gnu backgammon (or one of the other programs). you can find it with google. there are some great recent posts on backgammon too. Those will tell you what books are best.

bk
Old 07-17-2005, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
install and play with gnu backgammon (or one of the other programs). you can find it with google. there are some great recent posts on backgammon too. Those will tell you what books are best.

bk

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, damn I thought I had searched this forum for those posts but I missed [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] sorry.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I had searched this forum for those posts but I missed [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all good, I'm not one of those "search function" jerks.

Backgammon & Luck

Another beginning thread

I know there are a couple more on the first or second pages.
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
bk
Old 07-17-2005, 11:54 AM

Get yourself a copy of Paul Magriel's classic book aptly entitled: "Backgammon" then move on to the Robertie books.
Get a bot like Snowie that will analyze your games. Analyze your wins and your losses.

my $0.02 hth
Old 07-18-2005, 12:34 PM

I would switch up the order. Read Roberties 2 or 3 beginner books and then read Magriels.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I want to start playing backgammon, I've played some on the net to understand the rules but now I want to understand the game. What should I start practicing or what should I do to improve my game? Any links or something?
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to try www.gammonvillage.com. It is a pay site with some free content. But if you subscribe, there is a wealth of great information, including the "Backgammon Boot Camp" columns by renowned player Walter Trice which while billed as being for beginners/intermediates has taught advanced players a thing or two.

Bill Robertie's company, www.thegammonpress.com is a good source for books.

The best backgammon forum I know of is www.gammonline.com. It was once a pay site with the forum and a monthly magazine, but once the editor, Kit Woolsey, decided he didn't have time to do the magazine part, he kept the forum going and grandfathered all the paying members in permanently. I don't know what their policy is on a new person joining, but for hardcore players this site has lively discussion by some of the strongest players in the country/world.

Anyway, hope this helps. Backgammon is a great game.

Frank
Old 07-19-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would switch up the order. Read Roberties 2 or 3 beginner books and then read Magriels.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. Reading Magriel is quite a commitment. Don't just read the books, though. Take in a chapter at a time and play a lot on the internet with real people trying to put into practice what you learned. FIBS is the best free site. GamesGrid is the best pay site.

ZZZ