Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Wannabe pros and ESPN

Let's see, I've had a noise-generating device I listened to once (and then got told I couldn't use it. Crap.) just to follow baseball games in between hands.

The only time I wore sunglasses in a poker room, I forgot to leave them in my car. I had them around my neck (lenses on the back of my neck) so I wouldn't forget/lose them.

I occasionally wear my PartyPoker shirt, because people will either over-respect if (if they'reonline ignorant) or think I'm an internet clown (if they're savvy but hold Party players in low esteem). Either way, I can exploit them.

I only call time to let the dealer know that I know the action is on me. I may have taken longer than 10 seconds a few times, but not often. I'm sorry.

I've said "I was suited", but I did it to re-enforce the notion I was a fish after completing the family pot on the button with 53s and ending up with a straight-flush wheel. Again, I'm sorry.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:31 AM

lol what's wrong with listening to an mp3/cd player? i listen to my mp3 player once i get bored. i play mostly 2/4 and my mp3 player helps me focus, music relaxes me. i'm not trying to get an edge, it's just that sometimes my concentration wanders and listening to music helps a lot!

what's wrong with reciting rounders lines? if i'm playing 2/4, i have to lighten up the mood if the table gets too quiet. i get a kick when ppl act all serious and quiet at the table, funny lines from rounders or table chatter lightens the mood...a happy table can become a live table! xD
Old 07-22-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then they bust out becasue they go all in with 2 7 off suit in early position because as one kid said "thats what Gus would do"

[/ QUOTE ]
given the buy in and prize pool, I'm guessing that Gus would push it all in with any two just to get it over with quickly. he got debts to pay back. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2005, 02:29 AM

what if I did some of these things before the WPT/Rounders?

also, what about if I read at the table? does the author matter? Is Ibsen more wannabe-ish than Hugo?
Old 07-23-2005, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remember the best players dont care what people think of them or their image.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just flat out wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with most of the "advice" and "clues" in the original post. It was striving to be funny but mostly it was just dumb.

SpaceAce
Old 07-23-2005, 10:31 AM

to the orginal poster...You are talking about 2-4 to 6-12 limit games calling time? You've been in the game for how many years and are making references to poker newbies that think their pro's in these games and its annoying you? Are you sitting at there table? I sat at these tables when I was 18 in turning stone and haven't played in them after my teenage years. As long as there not in your usual game which I hope is higher thatn 2-4 I don't see why you should be bitching.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the whole "I don't understand limit/no limit" argument. If you really are as good at one as you say you are, you really shouldn't have a hard time adjusting to the other. I almost never play No Limit, but I feel comfortable enough with my limit game up to $40/80 that I really have never had a problem holding my own up to $5/10 NL. I'm sure I'm not playing optimal NL poker as I've never studied the game in as much depth as I have limit, but I'm sure I'm a winner in those games I have played.

I've also never studied Omaha, O/8, Stud or Stud/8, but I get the basic principles enough to be able to construct basic playing styles that are winning.

Poker games are all very similiar in nature that while you may not be an expert at all forms, you should be able to hold your own against low to mid limit players.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a slew of good limit players at Canterbury who get mowed down in the NL tourny's...

Limit and NL are different. Ring and tourny's are different. B&M and online are different.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:34 PM

I was playing at the Wynn earlier this week and some girl had her boytoy sitting behind her. No, he wasn't offering advice. Just a tool. Her tool.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:29 PM

I have many problems with this post. First of all, if you are a pro I'm not sure why you're concerned with the goings-on at the blue chip tables. Second, if one of these players did show up in your (presumably) higher limit game, you should be thanking your lucky stars, not rolling your eyes at his impressions from Rounders. And third, those of us who do play in blue chip games (rather than sit behind our hot boyfriends for hours) deserve as much time to make a decision as those playing higher. I'm sorry if a $50 pot bores you, but it's still real money to some of us. That's why we're playing at these limits and not moving up to face tougher competition, such as yourself of course.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have many problems with this post. First of all, if you are a pro I'm not sure why you're concerned with the goings-on at the blue chip tables. Second, if one of these players did show up in your (presumably) higher limit game, you should be thanking your lucky stars, not rolling your eyes at his impressions from Rounders. And third, those of us who do play in blue chip games (rather than sit behind our hot boyfriends for hours) deserve as much time to make a decision as those playing higher. I'm sorry if a $50 pot bores you, but it's still real money to some of us. That's why we're playing at these limits and not moving up to face tougher competition, such as yourself of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

zing!