Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-23-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Adware removal

Ive come across something called virtumonde. Webroot Spy Sweeper caught it but I would have to purchase it to delete it. So I googled some stuff and found this website. It has a very detailed way of getting rid of it. I was just wondering if there is a quicker and/or easier way. I dont want to mess anything up in the process since Im not the greatest with computers. Also just wanted to run this by someone to see if it really will fix everything. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Adware removal

To do it manually, there isn't going to be an easier way. I have Spysweeper, and it is an excellent product and just got PC Mag's Editor's Choice award again. Have you also downloaded the free version of Adaware or Spybot? Those might also get remove it.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:29 AM

I have AdAware and Microsoft Anti-Spyware to go along with Norton, none of these are catching this. I also ran a computer check through trendmicro.com. That caught a couple things but nothing serious. Just ran Spybot and that found a few things too. Thanks for recommeding that. But when I run SpySweeper it is still finding the same things as before. I think Im just going to buy it. Id rather have my computer protected than find somethings wrong and have it be to late.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:04 AM

If something is just adware versus malware, then the only thing it might be too late for is being annoyed. But Spysweeper is a great program and worth having.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:38 PM

Removal tool
Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 PM

Thanks for any replies in here. I have Spysweeper now and it did remove the virtumonde adware. But I am still getting pop-ups from somewhere. Ive run everything I can think of and nothing is being detecting. Does anyone have any mroe suggestions?

My pop up blocker through Internet Explorer is set so that it blocks all pop-ups.
Ive actually got these pop-ups to happen when I am just looking in the My Computer folders. I thought that was pretty weird. One of the popups that I remember brought up a Party Poker page. Started with the real address too. Other ones had ads for Winfixer I believe.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:06 AM

Just an update here. I am using Mozilla Firefox now instead of Internet Explorer and the pop-ups seemed to stop. Web pages also load faster. Im not sure if it will be this way tomorrow. I hope so. I dont't mind using Firefox now but should I uninstall Explorer from my computer and try to download it again to see if the problem is from there or just scrap it all together?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 AM

Are you running the scans while in safe mode? This is key for a lot of stuff to be removed.
Also for Adaware/Spybot make sure you update your definitions before scanning.