Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: What to do...(first post)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Normally I would have folded Q7o, but I was in the small blind and so many players were folding pre and post flop that it would make getting top pair proffitable. I'll post the results soon, but I wanted to know what you guys think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Save this limp for when you've had a lot more experience under your belt. Right now, it's probably going to hurt you more than it helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you ever limp this Aaron?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that he bets it, yeah, but if he actually had ace-high he'll also frequently check it behind. And if he's willing to bet it chances are he'd call it, too. Are you advocating that we slowplay our TPMK on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably call the flop raise and lead the turn. I agree, letting him check behind would be bad here, but if he'll bet with ace high then I love it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this wasn't directed at me I'll throw out that I'd complete here in a 1/2 blind structure everytime.

Edit: With 3 players that is. Usually another limper and I lean towards folding. Sure you get better pot odds, but your odds of domination start going up the more limpers that come in. But Q7o plays well 3-handed.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:39 PM

So here's what happened:

I folded out with my pair of Qs, would have shown Qs and 9s.
Villian shows pocket 4s, for 4s and 9s.
All-in shows Pocket 10s, for 10s and 9s.

I would have taken the pot and after thinking about it for a while, I couldn't justify why I didn't fold this preflop, any other day of the week and i would run away like a scared turtle. But after taking it to the turn, isn't it worth one more big bet to get to the showdown?

I am playing .05/.10 and doing much better than before SSH.

As for what I played when I lost my first $50, I forget the limits, but i had no clue what I was doing so it really didn't matter anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Normally I would have folded Q7o, but I was in the small blind and so many players were folding pre and post flop that it would make getting top pair proffitable. I'll post the results soon, but I wanted to know what you guys think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Save this limp for when you've had a lot more experience under your belt. Right now, it's probably going to hurt you more than it helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got nothing against it for a half-bet. I play about 50% VPIP from the small blind at 5-max (sample size warning: I've only got 3000 hands at 5-max) and Q7o is on the very low end of offsuit disconnected hands that I would play.

I play this sort of hand when I trust my postflop play against everyone else. With no reads, I'm content to let it go.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this wasn't directed at me I'll throw out that I'd complete here in a 1/2 blind structure everytime.

Edit: With 3 players that is. Usually another limper and I lean towards folding. Sure you get better pot odds, but your odds of domination start going up the more limpers that come in. But Q7o plays well 3-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting; I've never completed with this with >0 limpers in front, and when it came down to me and the BB I'd usually raise it against a tight BB and fold it against a loose one.

So if we're gonna play it, why isn't it better to come in for a raise and gain some fold equity/get rid of whatever overs to our 7 (or queen, for that matter) that BB could have?
Old 09-16-2005, 04:54 PM

Fold preflop.

Call it down after getting raised as you did.

PS: You made your second post by the time I resonded to this.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting; I've never completed with this with >0 limpers in front, and when it came down to me and the BB I'd usually raise it against a tight BB and fold it against a loose one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about my thought as well. I may complete against an extremely loose passive BB who will call down often, but no point in raising when I have an exactly average hand.

[ QUOTE ]
So if we're gonna play it, why isn't it better to come in for a raise and gain some fold equity/get rid of whatever overs to our 7 (or queen, for that matter) that BB could have?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we limp in it costs us .5SB and we'll be out of position against 2 players getting 5:1 preflop in a 3SB pot.

If we don't hit we can check/fold.

If we raise, we're giving the BB 5:1 odds to call so there's a very good chance he'll call with a good % of his hands anyway. We'll be out of position against 1-2 players in a 5-6SB pot into which we had to invest 1.5SB and if we miss the flop it's questionable whether we should continue. If he does fold, we'll be in an awkward position on the flop 2/3 of the time when we miss.

I prefer to play it like a set - if I hit I stay if I miss I'm out.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

Call it down after getting raised as you did.

[/ QUOTE ]
i've read this a few times now (here and other threads).

I interpret it as: "fold preflop, but if you don't fold then call it down..." is that correct?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:31 PM

Grunch-o-matic:

lead out the turn, fold to a raise, check/call the river.

Unless, of course, you have a read on the players. In which case, everything could change.

Did you have a read or stats on them?