Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Spread-limit stud/8 bring-ins

In spread limit stud-8, I always have a standard amount that I use for a bring in, usually the minimum or half the bet. My thinking has been that I don't want to provide information about my hand, and that I'm too busy watching other players and their boards to screw with varying it.

Do any stud/8 books have anything on this, especially Zee's? I'm away from home and can't access my library. Any good threads on this? I think I may be be playing sub-optimally by not charging other players enough to see 4th street, but don't know how to ballance that with leaking information about my hand strength. Thanks for any help...
Old 10-22-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Spread-limit stud/8 bring-ins

I can't think of a book that covers this, and I don't remember any threads, either. I've only ever played fixed-limit, and I almost always bring it in for the minimum. It is deceptive, and I like the limp/re-raise in high-low stud a lot. Probably too much.

One instance where I will bring it in for a full bet is if I have a good hand, such as a three-card low, and most folks are showing bananas. I have a good chance of stealing the antes. I also tend to bring it in for a full bet more often in shorthanded games because my stealing equity is higher.

Ray's book is great, but while it has an extensive discussion of what you should play on third street, it doesn't have much discussion of how you should play it.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Spread-limit stud/8 bring-ins

dont act until you have finished your looking. if you mean not the bringin but what you bring it in for when first in, then vary it according to your hand and the other players. if they are too loose bet alot more. if too tight bet by what you want to happen against you. and vary enough so they cant read you right.
if you have a hand that will likely go out on fourth without a perfect type card bet the min. if you want it headup bet the max.
watch your players and you can tell how many are coming so use that as a guide as well. remember you are looking and looking will catch it, unless you play so fast that you miss it.
zee