Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Need help with middle late game. Last 2-3 tables.

Hi all,

I have been playing obsessively for a while now and seem to be a pretty solid player overall at the $100 buy-in or less MTT level. However, while I am usually able to build up a decent stack and hold on to it, I keep having trouble once we get to 20-30 or so players left and I am around average in chips(I usually play 100-500 field tourneys on Paradise). I get into push or fold mentality when the blinds get big. This of course does not apply if I have a big stack.

Anyway, I do my best stealing to keep afloat but last night got knocked out 11th and 18th with AK, in one instance the chip leader was pretty laggy and put me all in and I "stupidly" called, he flipped up 34 of hearts and promptly flopped 2 pair. Not a bad beat but this keeps happening to me against guys who have me covered late in the tourney. The other was a coin flip against a guy who had me covered as well.

Anyway I seem to be able to get down to the 10 to 20 percent zone consistently and do make top 5 enough that I am a winning player overall. What I am asking is how do you survive when you are not a big stack and the blinds are big relative to your stack? Say I have 24k and the blinds are 1k and 2k... Do I call all-ins with AK-AQ when I am close to the dreaded 10x BB level?? Or do I hang on if possible and pick a situation where I can be the aggressor?

It seems like I should wait for a monster but the monster never comes unless you count AKo a monster. I am obsessing about AK because I have been knocked out with it alot recently against chip leaders who usually are holding a worse hand than me or a small pair.

I just ordered Harrington on Hold 'Em and hope that I get some new insight into how to get to the top 5-10 in these smaller tourneys more consistently. I am also looking for any suggestions from you guys. Should I avoid the chip leader at all costs when we are down to 20 even when I think I have the best hand?

I am just frustrated I guess but any ideas would help.

Thanks alot...
Old 04-02-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Need help with middle late game. Last 2-3 tables.

i seem to have the same problem a lot - im consistantly getting to final 2 or 3 tables, but not usually much further - certainly i dont feel my proportion of final tables is "fair" given how often im down to 20 or 30

ill be interested to hear responses....

anyway, my point - Harrington on Hold Em will cover end game play in volume 2 unfortunately.........
Old 04-02-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyway, my point - Harrington on Hold Em will cover end game play in volume 2 unfortunately.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap I just verified that and you are right. It sounds like there is some great stuff in volume 1 though.

So nobody has any words of wisdom? Am I not being aggressive enough in mid game so that I don't have to deal with this problem? What I mean is, should I take more chances earlier so I become a big stack or I bust out more or less before I end up in desparate coin toss situations?
Old 04-02-2005, 07:45 PM

Harrington is still excellent and well worth reading (and rereading) imo - i wasnt trying to put you off.....

i dunno if youve seen this before but its pretty damn good as guide to maximising your stack on the way through

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;o=14&vc=1

rgds
Stephen
Old 04-02-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;o=14&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a great post!!!

Thanks!