Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: spitting midhigh

You'd need to define high limit and mid limit, which, will surely spark a debate. Also, what about midlimit posting that is worthy of the ultimate high limit gurus opinion?

Leave it alone.

Dont fix what isnt broken.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:46 PM

i think we should have a forum for forum creation discussion
Old 11-15-2005, 11:46 PM

"Incidentally, didn't they used to have a "Brick and Mortar" forum."

Still do. Look left, just below Psychology. I post my Iris stories there.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the real problem is not limits, it is quality of posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

The solution isn't moving around where people make [censored] posts, it's getting people to make less [censored] posts.

If you do split, as I mentioned in SS. 15/30 seems to have more in common with 3/6 than it does 100/200.

I also think that if the forum could somehow disallow the use of the handconverter, things would improve markedly. The less people are able to hand spam, the better.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:03 AM

I dislike online posts that are just basically hand histories of nearly standard hands.
I dislike B&M posts that are based way too much off reads or knowledge that you could only have if you were at the table.
I don't think splitting the forums gets rid of these posts. I'd rather have the forums split into limits, with 30/60 being the cutoff for high stakes.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:27 AM

the fact you even had to post either one of these posts as questions is very telling. who care what limit it is obv a good post, which is interesting and helpful is much better than a high limit pos post. it is the content not the limit.
and i think it may be spanking the wrong baby and emphasizes dick swinging and limit bragging.
dave
Old 11-16-2005, 12:35 AM

I don't think online or B&M makes any difference at all to the people who play both, and I think that includes most on here.

I think there's a definite need to split the limits and favor a mid-high forum from 15-30 to 40-80 and a high forum 50-100 and up. I base that on two things.

One is I think you should post more to the limits you play and those levels close to it. You see the same cast of characters live between 15-40, depending on the game and what's going. That makes it more likely you'll provide positive input or realize you're not playing optimally at the limits you're at. That obviously doesn't prevent the higher limit players from posting lower to help out.

Second goes back to something you always see in the DERB thread and James282 was the last one I saw say it in response to a "Bingo" post someone made. It's basically that, if you have never played against that player, or even at those limits, you don't have the credibility to post for it.

Whether or not that's justified is debatable, but I can respect that and wouldn't feel punished by only being able to lurk in a higher limit forum I don't play hands in. I know James isn't alone in that view and wasn't intentionally singling him out.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:39 AM

(Apologies in advance for giving suggestions to a forum where I'm mainly a lurker.)

I'm all for much, much more active moderation. I think moderators should be given more leeway to delete non-productive posts, not just off-topic stuff and spam. Meta-moderation (a la Slashdot) would be great but I doubt it'll be implemented any time soon.

Posters should also clearly tag the hands they post with something like "Live 20/40" or "Party 30/60" or whatever in the subject. Great restraint should be exercised by posters in responding to crappy posts. (These responses are the kind of things I think moderators should delete.) Inexcusably bad advice and other forms of blathering should be deleted by moderators. Bad beat whines, in whatever form, should be deleted by moderators or moved to a different forum.

I suspect that the 2+2 audience has reached the point where a mid-high limit forum could be the premiere poker strategy forum anywhere, like Small Stakes was in 2003 and HUSH was in 2004. But the user base on 2+2 is too big now to just let the forums take care of themselves. I think active moderation is absolutely necessary.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:39 AM

(Apologies in advance for giving suggestions to a forum where I'm mainly a lurker, also.)

This seems like a simple problem that has gotten too much attention because of the label "splitting mid-high" when that's not what it's about.

Here's the issue:

There are regular posters playing 10/20, 15/30, and 20/40 full games who want to post hands. These hands don't fit posted next to 2/4 and 3/6 hands in SS where they get drowned out. They are unwelcome in the current MH because they are too simple, or they don't rate up to 100/200 hands, or whatever.

The point is these posts have no home and the mid forum will give them one - it's not taking away from mid-high because the high content, high-limit posts will still go there. It doesn't take away from SS because the 20/40 posts aren't helping a 3/6 player and most regulars like Josh. etc still post there. We're just meeting a current need, not decimating the "original 2+2 forum" or anything drastic.

Surf
Old 11-16-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an espcially big problem w/ the online posts, where there are people playing mid-high yet still making boring, almost beginner-level, posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this and some of my posts probably fit in this category. However, it is tough to get advice on 15/30 and 20/40 hands in SS because the typical 3/6 player in SH just isn't familiar with the level of agression in the 15/30 and 20/40, nor the vastly improved (but still bad overall) ability of the villains to read hands.

I think Bobbyi is right in that 15/30 and 20/40 are sort of in limbo on these forums.

Does that implie that there should be a split? Dunno.