Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-18-2005, 03:40 PM

Default 60 in 60 days 3,4 and 4.5

Hey, well this is going to be the log for days 3,4 and half of today day 5. i was going to wait till tonight and get the whole day in a log, but i don't want to wait till tonight get tierd and then end up not making an entry for like 4 or 5 days, so here goes.

well i have been runnning really bad. friday night i once again didn't get to start playing until late, didn't start till almost 1:30, so that was not that good to start, but i was feeling pretty good so it was not that big of a deal. however, right away i dropped 110 BBs, which sucked, i was also playing 5-6 tables at the time. as i was playing i was also talking to a friend and we discusses the approaite number of games to play, what is the best where the trade off starts and where you start to really sacrifice BBs, and the more we talked the more i realized that esp. for me it is really better to play 4 and no more, at least for 6 max. i just don't play as well with more than 4 and the extra hands are really not worth it at all. and since we had the convo and i have thought about it i have decided not to play more than 4 prolly ever again (at least for 6 max). and so i have been playing 4 since and it feels much better and i think i have been playing better. i just think for a lot of people they may push too hard to get in as many tables as possible to get hands in, say the 18 table whatever, and it may not be the best idea, i now know 4 is good for me...that is not to say there are not people that can play 6,8,10 or some other huge number, but i was just happy to think about it and realize where i stand, which i think is a great long term revaltion.

so, after the convo about 1/2 way through the night i dropped down to 4 tableas and managed to grind back only losing like 250 for the night.

Then sat i was determinted to get the hands in and start ealier, not go out drink come back at 2 and start. so i started in the afternoon, and played about 550 hands. however, i was pretty tierd and i think my play was only like 80% of what it shoudl have been and i dropped about 100BBs yet again. so i am not sure if i think i was playing just so so b/c i lost of b/c i was playing so so. so i took a nap, got up later and put in two more sessions of 500 hands and about 1400 hands, respectivily. however, i contiunted to run horribly and was stuck as much as 160 BBs, endeding the night down about 100 BBs.

today i started to make a comeback, only to lose anouther abotu 75 BBs over 600 hands.

there are two things i took away from this downswing so far. first, and prolly most importantly, a downswing is a great oppertunity, the best oppertunity in poker. everyone plays well when they are winning, but to be good, or great, to take that next step you have tp play well while you are losing. i have never played as well as i would like while i was losing, so 1) i am going to work on that and 2)from now on i am going to look at a downswing as an oppertunity, i am going to, well try to at least, welcome and look forward to a downswing b/c that is where i can seperate myself from the pack, that is where i can really imporve my game and my play. if you put in the hands the money will come, so who cares if you lose today or tommrow, you should simply try to improve your play and play well and the rest will follow. so i am really trying to imbrace this downswing and play as well as i possibly can, because this is my best oppertunity to be a better player. second, these guys have no chance at all, this is not a bad beat hand it is an example, i had some one call two bets cold on the turn with a gutshot, and someone call 4 2 bets cold twice on the flop with an underpair, i mean that is not that crazy but this [censored] happenes everyhand, i mean they just have no chance. so all of that is making the downswing easier to deal with, i see how totally horrible they play, so i am not at all worried.

some other thoughs and hands:
as i think about my play i think i really need to find more folds, i think i call in may spots where i really shouldn't and i really really need to work on that.

ex. 1
I have QxTs in the BB, a tagish player raises from a steal spot,
i c/c the flop and the turn and on the river the board ends up something like 8sJs4s6x2s, or something of that sort, i donk and he raises, i know i am beat and i call, i think i need to fold there. well hmm when it happened i thought wow this is a fold for sure god you suck, now reviewing it i am not sure i likea fold as i think, what do you all think?

anouther hand
I have QsTs in the co, UTG, and UTG+1 limp, i raise folded to the BB who calls as does UTG and UTG+1.

flop is AcJhQh
check, check, check, i bet, the BB and UTG call, UTG+1 folds.

turn is a 3d
check, check, i bet, BB folds, UTG calls.

river is the 8h
check, value bet?

some other general thoughts, i think on of my leaks is that is get a little laggy, at times and i am really trying to work on that. like i will raise 9Ts UTG+1 to mix it up a little, and then the next time i get it i will raise again, with out even thinging, so i am working on that.

i guess that is about it, on yeah also, i guess it is good to run bad now rather than later when i am more burned out, but [censored] over 120k hands i could easly run bad for 1/4 or more of the hands so i just gotta play as well as i can in each sitaion and not worry about it.

results so far

Day 3: 1497 hands for -296
Day 4: 2419 hands for -2255
1/2 of Day 5: 690 hands for -about 1600

total results:
8,337 hands for -2709, fun stuff

dave
Old 12-18-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: 60 in 60 days 3,4 and 4.5

hi dave. great series, keep it coming.

i would have played your QT gutter/flush draw for a checkraise on either the flop or turn. i think youre going to have ace high check it down alot when that pot could have been yours.

after the guy raises the river i agree that i think you should fold.

i wouldnt river value bet QT on the AQJ board

9Ts from UTG+1 is a standard for me and i think just about everyone else. if youre good enough to make 60k in 60 days then you should be good enough to play 9Ts from UTG+1 for profitability.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:02 PM

my issue with cring the QT flop is when it comes spade, spade, spade or whatever, most people give you a flush draw right away and never fold A hi, or at least that is my take.
as for 9Ts i guess i will stop feeling guilty about it.
dave
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 PM

yah i feel you on the flop checkraise with your spade draw which is why i said i would checkraise one of the streets because if you feel that way, a flop cc turn checkraise seems good to me.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think on of my leaks is that is get a little laggy

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. i think this is actually, size wise, your biggest leak imo. thats because i dont see you with any other real big ones. we probably have what, a few k hands together + the live ones? you be goot but just a bit laggy sometimes. screws, tighten, yadda.

GL, shoot me a message next time you're playing.

Barron
Old 12-18-2005, 05:48 PM

"there are two things i took away from this downswing so far. first, and prolly most importantly, a downswing is a great oppertunity, the best oppertunity in poker. everyone plays well when they are winning, but to be good, or great, to take that next step you have tp play well while you are losing. i have never played as well as i would like while i was losing, so 1) i am going to work on that and 2)from now on i am going to look at a downswing as an oppertunity, i am going to, well try to at least, welcome and look forward to a downswing b/c that is where i can seperate myself from the pack, that is where i can really imporve my game and my play"

that is awesome - i'm gonna remember that.

Keep it up,

-DrG
Old 12-18-2005, 07:33 PM

when i read that i also thought it was pretty cool, but upon second look i really dont necessarily agree. what i mean is, dave is playing at a limit way below his usual limits. hitting a downswing for him here doenst have the emotional recourse that it does for a player who normally plays these limits. it doesnt rattle his confidence because hes proven himself in bigger games and his loss isnt going to affect his bankroll. for a player who plays 10/20 as his major game with a 600BB bankroll and hits a 300BB downswing, thats not an opportunity, thats a catastrophe.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:06 PM

v. true
Old 12-19-2005, 12:41 AM

ok i mean yes it sucks for a player to lose half their br. but why did they do it and now that it happened what can they do?---i mean basically yes it sucks but they are where they are the cards fall as they fall, their is nothing you can do about that. if you have 600BBs play great, lose half, you have to options, well more than two but to make it easier, you can get pissed, tilt, whatever the [censored] else, or you can learn from your downswing you can play better or critique your game more, you can say now i am running bad, and a lot of players might fold give up whatever, i am not going to i am going to use this to make myself a better player. i mean if they are good in the course of a year 300BBs is nothing, even if they win like 1.25BB/100 and play 500 hands a day that is somehting like 2000BBs over the couse of the year. so, say they use their downswing to become better and get their win rate up to 2.5bb/100 they just made 1700BBs from their downswing. i am being kinda rediclous, but you see what i am saying. there is nothing we can do about our past results and there is no way to affect the fall of the cards, but what we can do is use each sitaution to try to get better. and playing well in a downswing is somehting i bet a lot of people have to work on, no? so, i mean a downswing is an oppertuniy to improve for everyone, yes it sucks to lose a [censored] load of your br or money or whatever, and just because they lose more of their br they say your would does not mean that they have less to learn, or cannot use the downswing as an oppertunity.
dave
Old 12-19-2005, 10:26 AM

It's great stuff to see the honest reflections of a guy who plays well and at higher limits when he's going through a downswing. That's something rarely seen yet we all know is common. It takes confidence and guts to do and can be appreciated.

I read Daniel N. saying there's times when you wonder if you really know how to play the game and if you'll ever win again. This is a great thread along those lines because I believe you learn more from what you do wrong than what you do right. Keep the faith and keep plugging.