Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Why does one get soo many 3rds.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay does one generally want to take a coinflip ITM?( Where he can eliminate a player.) Or do you want to be in the lead, eg 70/30,60/40?

[/ QUOTE ]If given the choice, I'd prefer to be in the lead.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:22 PM

Nate, I'll take a stab at answering this seriously --

Why do we get thirds (in no particular order):

Sometimes you just finish third. You play your cards, no great opportunities to improve your stack present themselves, and you bust out in third. Happens to everyone.

You have a short stack in 4th or 5th, with no realistic shot at winning, but you manage to outlast people with bigger stacks than you because they misplay -- this is a good thing.

There are 4 people left, you don't have a great stack, but you don't take advantage of opportunities to improve your position because you're determined not to finish 4th. This is bad play.

You have a big stack, and should win or finish second most of the time, but you play so conservatively and don't take advantage of opportunities and a lot of time the other players catch up to you, and you finish third. This is terrible play.

So, why do you get too many thirds -- could be any or all of these.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:29 PM

you might not even be looking at that the right way.

some of the best players on the forums, and me.... end up with 3rds and 1sts. because I'd rather gamble on 1st, then walk into 2nd.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you want us to tell you? You asked how a person wouldn't get the results they want. This is because they're not playing in a way that will produce those results.

You might be playing too aggressively. You might be playing too passively. You might be too tight with your calls, or you might be too loose.

There's no diagnosis for "too many seconds and thirds." The only way is to actually analyze your play. Post some hands, tell us how you're playing...but don't ask questions that can't be answered satisfactorily to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is the best response of them all so far. Each situation is different and the reason your getting a lot of thirds and why others might be are completely different.

I play goober aggressive late and well over the last 650 tourneys my third place has been higher then my first and second place even with a 18% ROI. That being said I have been working on slowing my roll a little bit when it gets late, been a little less aggressive and I have seen a drastic increase over the short term.

So.......

To tight late may equal thirds.
To aggressive late may equal thirds.

Post some hands, talk about them, learn from them, and don't be hating.

Kanye
Old 10-02-2005, 11:41 PM

Yes, you're right.

There are lots of possibilities as to why one's style of play will give you a disproportionate number of thirds. Some of it is good play, some of it is bad play. My main point, here is that a lot of us have said that this question can't be answered in a vacuum, and I was trying to give a few examples of why.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:24 AM

Do you have any idea how lucky we are to have found this forum? Treat these guys with respect even if you don't agree with what they tell you. They don't get anything out of helping us so you should show some appreciation.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:15 AM

You can't get too many 3rds.

I'd take 100% 3rds.

Lori
Old 10-03-2005, 02:33 AM

that'd be one sexy roi.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:53 AM

Im very tempted to ask the exact same question even though I know its vague.

Im getting murdered ITM by 10+1 players. I know it's a really small sample size (170), but I feel like im playing badly ITM.

23% 3rds
15% 2nds
11% 1st

Theres seem to be a million posts on bubble play and barely any on ITM play. Even then, hand post help with specific and usually small leaks. Im pretty sure I have a big leak in style (weak-passive i think).

Maybe a hand selection guideline of some sort. I know Andartha has one for "robotic" play, is that a good start? Anyone know where else I should look?

Thxs in advance, Brian
Old 10-03-2005, 02:57 AM

adanthar will be mad u butchered his name. as for yer results.. i have way more thirds than 1sts or 2nds in the 22s.. its because of the tightass play up to that point, and u generally get itm with less than avg chips. holla