Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Wrestling fans and former fans only.

I have two major points.

1) Regarding the Ultimate Warrior... he was one of the most wrestling-incompetent wrestlers ever. His mic sessions were mind-numbing. And, in real life, he is a true lunatic. Fine.

That said, he was an absolute freak who could do things that no one else did - IE in his prime, gorilla pressing guys and actually throwing them, instead of letting them drop over his head. Also... this guy absolutely BROUGHT IT every time he came into the ring. I understand it was sort of his character's nature to do so... but there are few wrestlers that I've ever seen who absolutely refused to take a night off and half-ass it.

2) HOW TO FIX IT: I noticed a few years ago two trends in wrestling, both of which suck. #1, they have stopped giving people gimmick names and gimmicks as a whole. Now everyone is "John Smith" or whatever. I can't tell the damn guys apart, and I have no interest in watching them because they're all the same to me. #2, sort of in the same line as the previous, they are tending to take some of the more humorous characters and make them a lot more "serious". Remember when Edge and Christian used to be funny? Good god they were hilarious. Then they split up, and became angry super-serious guys. And wouldn't you know it, they're not good enough in the ring to stand out anymore.

Actually now that I write this, I do agree with the idea too that clean matches should be strived for more. Back in the day, it was absolutely no big deal if someone lost the Saturday afternoon main event. I didn't think less of Earthquake if he lost to Ultimate Warrior on a weekly show... I still knew anything could happen that next PPV or that next week for that matter.

But the personality/gimmick thing is, to me, the big issue. Someone like the Million Dollar Man would be great now... great gimmick, pretty funny in an evil sort of way... and yet he pisses you off a bit too and you kind of f'ing hate him. Or how about Jake the Snake and the Undertaker (ca 1992)... those guys defined ring psychology, and had distinct personalities. Now every damn wrestler is just some random angry muscle guy, as far as I'm concerned. They're no different than the ass clowns I see at the gym every day.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:37 AM

It seriously does. There's all these unknowns running around like they own the ring now or something. Whatever happened to D-Low Brown and De-generation X!?
Old 07-22-2005, 04:42 AM

Bring back DX
Old 07-22-2005, 04:53 AM

i havent watched wrestling since i was 12 or 13, but from what i remember it seemed like it was at its best when the nwo storyline was really going in wcw, and at the same time the stone cold vs vince saga was in full swing and degeneration x was getting going. seems like its all been downhill since then
Old 07-22-2005, 05:22 AM

Simple... do more with the ECW 'brand'... while you still can. They're not getting any younger.

Everyone I talked to thoroughly enjoyed that PPV and then the next night it was forgotten.

Have a show that comes on, say, once every 2 weeks for an hour or two even on like a Saturday night at 11pm or midnight and have it ECW.

You can't tell me that wouldn't be interesting.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:30 AM

Old 07-22-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i havent watched wrestling since i was 12 or 13, but from what i remember it seemed like it was at its best when the nwo storyline was really going in wcw, and at the same time the stone cold vs vince saga was in full swing and degeneration x was getting going. seems like its all been downhill since then

[/ QUOTE ]

nWo red with Kevin Nash and Sting in WCW, and then in WWF you had DX, Stone Cold and the Rock...those were the best days of wrestling IMO
Old 07-22-2005, 10:56 AM

why the FU.CK hasnt anybody mentioned the ROCK yet? the rock would single handedly make me watch every effing episode of wrestling that aired.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:59 PM

Wagering! or

Retro league. Sorta like the new Gilligan's Island.
Get new wrestlers to fill the rolls of The Samoan, Andre the Giant, dBob Backland, Chief Jay Strong Bow, Greg Valentine, Iron Shiek, Animal. (and their managers)
Old 07-22-2005, 05:01 PM

How about a time machine. So I am go back to when I where were kids. That would make it cool again.

That and the return of the Ultimate Warrior of course.