Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-01-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Boston huge trade

No luck baseball bitches. Its NHL time.

Thornton for Sturm, Stuart, Wayne Primeau.

I like Boston in this one.

rJ
Old 12-01-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Boston huge trade

I will take your word that its good for Boston, because I have no idea about the other three guys.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:49 AM

Are you out of your mind, that's an awful deal for Boston...
Old 12-01-2005, 01:56 AM

The immense depth this adds outweighs the superstar value of thornton. Not to mention he is often injured.

rJ
Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 AM

Meh. I like Stuart.

NT
Old 12-01-2005, 02:09 AM

I think the sum of all them dudes = that one dude, but I just don't see how that's smart from Boston's perspective. It seems to me that in the NHL moreso than any non-basketball sport, you need that one player who can create a moment of genius when the rest of the team is shite and pull a point or two.

Maybe I'm off base.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:12 AM

Well I thought about the deal and it's not as bad as I thought, but still, of course Stuart is solid in defense and Sturm adds some attack. Not enough to replace Thorton of course. The fact that Boston saves money in the salary cap is probably a big factor also. If I was Boston I would have tried to get a first round pick instead of Primeau.

Anyways, the media in Boston didnt like Thorton, they were always questioning his hearth.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, the media in Boston didnt like Thorton, they were always questioning his hearth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of all the things to wonder about they criticized his fireplace? Ouch.

Somebody on SI.com was criticizing Thornton for not being physical enough and said N'Sync would probably have another smash hit before he did.

NT
Old 12-01-2005, 09:51 AM

I can't find any but the most optimistic of Bruins fans that like this deal. We needed a guy like Stuart, definitely, but "forward depth" in the way of underachievers and grinders is something we have in spades.

Joe made our top line play like a top line. Despite an apparent lack of intensity and fire, and occasional floating, Joe was the best player on the team, and when he was on the ice he could make things happen. Many in Boston felt that he should be able to do this every time he stepped onto the ice, and with Joe's talent, that wasn't so unexpected. So when he was shut down by the likes of John Madden or someone similar, he was blamed for not trying hard enough. But no one (excepting possibly Globe writer Kevin Paul Dupont) wanted him traded, and this just doesn't seem like enough. We need to fill that #1 center role. If something comes along soon to plug that gap, I can reevaluate the move in context. But right now...

One thing is for sure: The Bruins suck. They have been a tremendous disappointment. Obviously we overrated them a bit pre-season, probably not paying enough attention to their terrible defense, but they have also underperformed. Something had to happen.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 AM

I think that is an awful trade for Boston. Stuart is a solid defenseman. And Sturm can score, but won't even come close Thornton's production. Primeau is just a utility guy. Nothing special there.

How could they make this trade and not get a first line center in return? Who is your first line center now, Zhamnov? Isn't he as old as Messier? J/K. God help you Bruins fans....

Yeah, the team has been a disappointment this year. But to trade away the guy you thought was going to be your franchise for years? I dunno. I just hate it for Boston.