Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: A Play I Make a Lot

If i believed it was marginally +EV, i woudl do it.

But i don't.
--

Strassa is better than i am, he'll win some pots post flop unimproved/marginally improved, that i wouldn't.

For most of the people that post here, i think calling w/ 32s there is a leak. T8s is probably a leak too, but that one i'm a little more comfortable playing post flop, at this point.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
weeeeeeeee...... maybe i'll get to play a non-nut draw out of position. awesome. or i'll flop 2-pair/trips 1 time in 29. yay. hope none of the 5 people in the pot flopped a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Passing up +EV spots cause they are hard is not good. If you are good postflop these spots are +ev.

what am i missing? You win tournaments with non-nut draws and retarded 2 pairs.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

consider the OP's hand (2 EP limps, CO raises 3x, button and SB call), and say it's a $100 tourney. do you call there with 83o? i would need a lot more hand than that to call. i'd fold QJo, for example. leak?

[/ QUOTE ]

You fold QJo here?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:19 AM

I think the idea is good but your hand is awful, and your position isn't so hot either. I think it's good to try to pick up a stack with suited connectors in position behind a raise, with several passive opponents. I also think it's ok to try to hit a flop in the blinds with good pot odds; I just don't like the quality of your hand. Your best hits are possibly dominated trips or two pair. No straights, no flushes.

-D.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:24 AM

For the record, I think the chances of a reraise or fold here out of any of the limpers are basically insignificant, so I don't think concern about closing the action is warranted.

Exit: calculating the EV of this play with hands like 8Ts is much harder than 94o as much of your money comes in the form of making calls with correct odds and turn/river play when you make your hand. Thus, it's dependent not only on the range of hands our opponents have, the range of hands that they get all in with, and the flop, but also the amounts our opponents bet on various flops, the hands that call these amounts, the turn, and the river. I'd think it'd be easier to do it empirically than mathematically. A computer program might work. However, if you read Mid-High PL/NL at all, you'll see how much these hands are worth with deep stacks.