Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Daily Hand Post: blind steal with J7s

The second of these is a blind steal situation that came up a few nights ago at a short-handed Party 2/4 table. I've been extremely aggressive and I am running over the table; most of the players haven't adjusted to the short-handedness. Tight table all around.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: I am CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">I bet</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">I 3-bet</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, I....
Old 06-11-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post: blind steal with J7s

Call, BB isn't folding.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:50 PM

I dont see too many people putting that much aggression without some sort of hand. Even if he doesn't have a made hand, with all that betting I don't think he will lay down A high easily. You are almost certainly behind and probably won't get him to fold enough to make raising profitable so I see calling as the only way on the turn and folding the river UI. If I catch any pair I call the river and obviously raise the flush.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:52 PM

i'm calling here.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:56 PM

Your equity in this pot just dropped pretty dramatically against a reasonable range of hands, and your opponent seems to like his hand enough to go to war with it. Call.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call, BB isn't folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words right off of my fingertips.

P.S. to Jason: I don't mean to sound like a dick, but this isn't a very interesting hand.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:01 PM

Just call he is going to showdown and you are now an underdog to his hand no point in taking this further.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:04 PM

kill myself after misclicking and hitting the fold button.

Seriously, I think this is an easy call absent a read that BB lays down easily to continued aggression on the turn. There's too high of a chance we'll be 3-bet on the turn.

I know that we don't have to get BB to fold here too often in order to make raising attractive, but how many 2/4 players fold to a raise in this spot, like, ever. Semibluffing at 2/4 tends to suck because most players tend to overplay their semi-strong hands (which actually is a good defense against a habitual semibluffer) and call down with their marginal ones.

I like how you've played the hand so far. I assume you called here.

Are you capping the river if you hit your straight or flush, or just calling a 3-bet (should it come)?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:16 PM

Default OT: \"interesting hands\"

(1) I kind of disagreed with Jason's original state of the forum post, so maybe this is a good place to make a small rebuttal.

To some extent, I don't think this hand is very interesting either. But it might be worth it if someone calculates how often BB has to fold here to make raising better than calling. I do know that it's a pretty small number. I still think calling is right here, but a read on BB could swing things here.

I know a lot of posters get tired with hands that they don't consider interesting. First, I still have some doubts about some lines that are considered routine or standard. The doubts may be unfounded in most cases, but there's still more analysis that could be done of "standard" "uninteresting" hands that would be potentially interesting and could lead to something non-standard. (Perhaps some of that analysis has been done and I just haven't found it yet.)

I do sympthasize that when there are a lot of posts such as "I cap the 8h7h6h flop with AsKc, what's my line for the turn" then it clogs up space for better posts.

I also don't mind the 2/4 vs. 3/6 vs. 5/10 posts or stats posts, though that doesn't mean I'm always going to read them.

Also, it's not too hard to take an "uninteresting" hand and make it interesting. If it's an obvious call at a certain point, change one of the flop cards to make calling less attractive; is calling still obvious? Or if we should obviously fold, change the villain to one who routinely bluffs and overplays his hands; should we still fold?

I really really really really hate the "Kill yourself" posts, because I think they are counterproductive. It does suck that sometimes an easy hand gets like 15 responses, whereas an interesting tough hands gets 1 or 2. But I also know that I posted comments on a lot of easy hands first because that is how I felt comfortable discussing hands. I still am a bit reluctant to discuss tough hands because I am aware that my advice might be wrong. I am working on overcoming this, but I am sympathetic to the fact that people often don't want to look stupid, which will happen sometimes when you take a stab at a tough situation. (Of course, it's +EV to risk looking stupid and to take a stab, because the tough hands are where you really learn to understand the game of poker in all its complexity.)

Sorry this is so long and off-topic...I hope this doesn't hijack this hand. Someone really ought to calculate how often BB has to fold to make raising better than calling (given some reasonable assumptions on his range of hands here) in this spot. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy right now. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call, BB isn't folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words right off of my fingertips.

P.S. to Jason: I don't mean to sound like a dick, but this isn't a very interesting hand.

[/ QUOTE ]