Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Default For fellow non-christians: thoughts on christmas/winter solstice?

After a debate in my head of whether to stick this post in OOT or SMP, I decided to go with the latter. If this is more appropriate for OOT, feel free to move it.

I grew up Christian. Sort of. My parents weren't very strict about religion; they didn't even go to church themselves. They did make me go to Sunday school though so I did, at one point, consider myself Christian. However, when I was about 17 I renounced religion and became agnostic (I'm 23 now, by the way).

Growing up, like most american families, we celebrated christmas. We didn't really focus on Jesus at all, it was more about holiday music, giving and receiving presents, christmas decorations, going to my grandmother's house where the entire family met, etc.

The christmas tradition has always been a part of my life and to be honest, I like celebrating it and I like the holiday season, despite the fact that I think Jesus and the bible are bogus. Are there any other non-christians that feel this way? Do you still celebrate christmas? And if so, do you only do it because of spousal or family pressures? Or, do you make it a point that you are in fact celebrating the Winter solstice (the pagan holiday christmas is based on)?

My last thought is about children. I don't have any children and it will be many years before I do, but I often wonder how I will handle this situation. I would obviously not raise my children to be religious since I am not myself, but I'm wondering if celebrating christmas with them would send them some sort of mixed message. On the other hand, if I celebrated Winter solstice with them, I am afraid word would get around and they would be subject to ridicule or scorn from their peers because they're part of "that kooky family" that celebrates Winter solstice. Thoughts?