Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Newbie hand, huge hand, huge pot

I would raise on the flop. Try to get those back door lows out or pay more to chase their runner-runner low.

BTW what stakes is this?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:52 PM

.5/1
Old 02-28-2005, 05:16 PM

One thing to bear in mind on the flop is that, with no low cards in your hand and only one low on the board, there's only ~1/3 chance of a low hand playing at the end. Most of the time the High hand scoops. So, I'd want anybody chasing the runner-runner low to stay in on the flop as they're usually not going to make it.

Of the seven players acting after you, who's going to call two-cold?
- high flush draw (Ah suited, Qh suited)
- Broadway straight draw
- runner-runner low draw from an uber-calling station

I think on most PP 0.5/1 tables you'll end up with a larger pot and more people available to make bad probability calls at the turn if you don't raise the flop. But, again, it's table dependent on which will get you a larger pot. At this point, I think a larger pot is more valuable to you than fewer opponents.

On the turn play, consider:
- a non-pairing low will now come about half the time on the river and so half pot if you win high
- you're actually rooting for a low card on the river as a high card makes a straight possible and you'll probably split high at best.
- a heart could easily make someone a flush

That said, I'd raise the turn since most of the table has already put in money and you're likely to get lots of callers. Again, building a big pot for you to hopefully scoop.

River: no low hand possible, so you're playing for the whole pot. You're much more likely to see A high flush from the aggressor than running quads. Everyone else is hanging out hoping to sneak into the big pot. Jam it.