Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2003, 06:07 PM

Default JQo in BB

$1/2NL on VC

I get JQo in the BB and have about $75 after posting

3 limpers, CO min raises

note: this guy is quite tricky and raise happy but i’ve never seen a min raise from him, they’re not very common in my games (VC has mostly UK players)

button folds, SB calls, I call, 3 limpers call, 6 to the flop

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check my top pair questionable kicker, limpers check, CO bets $15 into $23 pot, SB folds, what’s my play?

Edit: Most people have me covered and CO has about $140 or so
Old 12-03-2003, 05:39 AM

Default Re: JQo in BB

As you note: TP, questionable kicker & pre-flop mini-raise & a tricky player.

Tricky players play a wide range of hands & you have no way to tell where you-re at. Why did you call the raise pre-flop with such a weak hand and bad position under these conditions?
You would not be in this situation if you had played well preflop (folded). Now you are faced with a tough decision. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] You wanted to hit 2 pair or a str8 and missed.
Fold and save your money for a real hand. You are beaten by AA,KK,QQ,AQ,KQ, or 2 pr or the limpers have you beat or drawing with some of your cards.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:21 AM

Default Re: JQo in BB + result

Agreed on preflop call, I felt that the pot would still be 5- or 6-way and that a miracle flop could make me a lot of money. This flop wasn't really to my liking though.

My main fear was calling his bet and then to be raised by one of the limpers who really had a Q or 2 pair, but also that he was trapping with AA preflop and sucking in postflop. So I did fold. I just wanted to see should I have maybe just called.

The reason was, it was folded round to him and after dragging the pot he showed Qd 9d, for a worse queen! Odd raise, however it did use the CO position effecively...

Well, my consolation was, just after posting I had built my stack up to just a bit more than the CO's and took his entire stack with JJ when he made a mistake! Nice.

Cheers

Jon
Old 12-03-2003, 12:12 PM

Default Re: JQo in BB - Min Raise from the CO

The CO was raising not only the blinds, but three limpers. He wasn't trying to steal, he was just building a pot for himself. I immediately put him on QQ-AA, no joke. I would fold QJo in this position to any raise from anyone else anyway.

The flop is highly uncoordinated and he slightly underbet the pot. All this guy wants to do is collect. Your move is to fold. Let someone with AQ or a set call him.