Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2003, 03:25 AM

Default 96c in the BB facing a major raise on river

Here is a doozy..

i get 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB, two callers, SB folds, three way action. I've been sitting tight for over an hour then a nice surge of cards comes my way. first limper has me covered with about $70, i have about $55, second limper has around $35. we play 10-20 cent blinds with a 5 cent ante.

flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. i bet $1.20, call, call. turn is a 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. i check, $70 guy bets $1, i raise to $4, he says, "nice!", then calls...

river comes a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. i bet $1 just to get him to call, but he raises me $20 more! i think, look at him, and say to him, "i have a flush." he says, "me too."

now, i know by saying that while i contemplate the call, i am saying that i do NOT have the nut flush. how could i have played it better here?

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2003, 09:58 AM

Default Re: 96c in the BB facing a major raise on river

Check and keep your mouth shut. Hope he bets small if you plan to call with your weak flush.

I'm amazed at the players who tell what they have facing a raise or putting in a bet when they have a weak hand.

I wouldn't make the "post-oak" bet trying to get a cheap shown down. It totally gives away the weakness of your play. The strongest play would be to (a) check or (b) bet just a little under the full pot (3/4's). Never tell what you have. Poker is about mistakes. How's the opponent gonna make a mistake if you tell him what to do!
Old 09-27-2003, 11:19 AM

Default Re: 96c in the BB facing a major raise on river

yeah he spooked me good; actually i spooked myself by opening my big mouth! i'll try to be a little more anti-social, but damn, i finally folded and he showed me the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. argh.