Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2003, 11:16 AM

Default 1/2 PL Omaha. How do you play the flop and turn?

1/2 PL Omaha

I have A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] single suited in the mp.

1 caller
Next player raises to $9
5 players call

We see the flop 6 handed

Flop is 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] ,5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] ,4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

The pre-flop raiser makes it $54.

I call. What is the correct play here?

I have $150 left in front of me and I am pretty much covered by everyone.

I call figuring that the bet into a large field from early position means I am behind. I also figure that I might get callers behind me thus improving my odds.

I didn’t think I could drop here with AA, pair of 5s, nut flush draw, and an inside straight draw. The pot was offering me 2/1 and potentially better with more callers.

However, I was only about 37% to hit on the turn and since I wasn’t in LP my chances were low of getting a free card. Also, if most of my clean outs come I am unlikely to get action.

Do you lay down on the flop? Would you push in?

Turn is 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] , putting a potential straight on the board.

Original raiser checks, I check, LP bets $100. Orig. Raiser Calls

I muck.

I am thinking that at this point, my AA can be no good (even if I hit an A the straight will beat it). Same thing goes for hitting a 2. So, I am essentially drawing for a flush at about 3.5 to 1.

River is 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] .

Last player wins with 2 pair 5,6s.
Original player has 9,10,J,Q (only a pair and a non nut flush draw).

Regardless of the fact that I would have won, did I play the turn correctly?

Did I give my opponents too much credit?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:40 AM

Default Re: 1/2 PL Omaha. How do you play the flop and turn?

I'd push in. Overpair of aces, nut flush draw and inside straight draw on a fairly ragged flop seems pretty strong to me. I'm not quite sure of the action preflop - did you raise, or call the raise?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:43 AM

I simply called the raise preflop so as not to give away that I had AA
Old 07-16-2003, 11:48 AM

Fair enough. I'd still reraise preflop as it will probably mean you can bet all-in on the flop, which is pretty good for aces (unless the flop is horrible - but on this type of flop you'd be happy to bet all-in, I think).
Old 07-16-2003, 11:52 AM

You start with a pretty weak hand; Pair of A's & nut flush. The 5,3 tends to decrease the value of this hand. Low str8's are vulnerable. It's a miracle when you get the flp of Ac, 2d, 4d.

When the flop comes 9d,5s,4d; all you have is the nut flush draw. Any reasonable player with a middle run-down hand has you drawing almost dead (6,7,8,9 or 5,6,7,8) as you noted when the 6 comes on the turn.
Fold on the flop would have been okay to the pot bet b/c your gonna have to fold on the turn unless you hit the diamonds with no pair.

You played a marginal O/8 hand. Pass the flop was a waste of money.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:57 AM

You have a strong enough hand to re-raise pre-flop. AAxx is very strong pre-flop, but many flops can miss it, so you'd like to eliminate people pre-flop if you could.

On the flop I'd have re-raised all-in. The flop hit you pretty hard and the raise might have won the pot without a fight. If you got called, there's a good chance it would have been by just one player, and you would likely have many outs against that player. Combining the equity of someone folding and having to cards to hit your hand, your hand is easily strong enough to go all in. What you don't want to have happen is get stuck half-way by calling and then get put all-in on the turn (which is exactly what happened).

You want to be careful calling with draws. In big-bet poker you generally want to take the intiative with them or get out. Calling is often the worst of 3 alternatives.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:32 PM

Is this O8? I thought it was straight PLO. I agree it looks bad when the 6 comes on the turn but on the flop he is in much better shape than either of the straight draws you mention.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:22 PM

Your post is a little unclear on all streets as to how many people come calling, their positions, and stack sizes. I assume that you are to the left of the raiser.

Preflop, I am reraising no matter what. If the stacks are not too big, I'm raising the max. If the stacks are quite large, I'm raising the minimum and hope he pops its again.

On the 954 flop, the preflop raiser bets the pot into the field and you assume you're behind? I fire it in. You have between 9 and 20 outs if you are behind, and a running pair would probably be fine too. A junky two pair is going to have trouble calling all that. I would expect to win uncontested, and if called win at least 50% of the time.

On the turn the straight comes and its $100 to you, so you muck. How much was in the pot already, how many called on the flop, how much will be left to bet if you flush? Is there enough to convincingly bet if the board pairs?

This is an interesting hand, thanks for posting it. I think your only problem is that you may be the one PLO player who actually UNDERvalues Aces.

Thanks,
Old 07-16-2003, 03:18 PM

The poster didn't say anything about it being O8.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:48 PM

AA is going to be the death of me.

I posted a day ago in the theory forum whether to try and get all your money in preflop with AAxx. The answer seemd to not raise unless you can get most of your money in because it is too easy to play against you since they can put you on AA.

Only me and another caller on the flop.

Thanks for the replys