Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2002, 05:12 PM

Default Bad Move?

3 Handed at the final table of a No-Limit Hold 'em Tournament. Blinds are 800-1,600. All three players have about 10,000.
I get dealt AQ-offsuit in the SB. I make it 4,600 to go. BB folds. Button calls. The flop is K-10-X. I checked, button bets 3,000 and I fold. In hindsight I feel I should have moved all-in before he bet, knowing that the Button will play just about any 2 cards. My reasoning was that I wanted to hang on to my last couple grand so I can get it heads up, also, only the top 2 places paid. Was this a good fold or just weak play?
Old 09-25-2002, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Bad Move?

Preflop i would reraise all in, or else decide that if i get called i will push in no matter what flops.

It is a weak play to bet nearly half your stack and then not be predetermined to push all in.

I would have moved all in preflop.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:33 PM

Once a raise gets you close to 40-50% of your chips, you probably should go all-in.

In this case you may well have been bluffed out of the pot. Who knows but it is possible.

Ken Poklitar
Old 09-26-2002, 12:37 AM

In three-handed play doesn,t the button play first I,m confused
Old 09-26-2002, 05:22 AM

The pre-flop play is where you make the primary mistake. Everyone has a medium stack (10,000/1600 = 6.25 bb). This is a shallow money situation (short a simple). In the small blind (bad position) you bet 1/2 your stack (now you're pot stuck) if you are called. Weak play pre-flop is death. Three handed you only have 2 real options (1) you want to see the flop? (you call for 3 way action) or (2) you move in (bet and take it)
If you don't like A,Q suited through it away. Three handed and the button calls (makes a weak play). You make a weaker play bet 1/2 stack and fold to bet on flop. If you are behind pre-flop it's not by far (the BB has random cards and the button announces he has random cards). If you enter for a big bet you must commit to seeing the river.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:16 AM

maybe you shouldn't let diamond jim play you like a fiddle. But what do I know.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:11 AM

You are correct. Unless there was some issue with losing players, the button would have had 1st action pre-flop.

Ken Poklitar
Old 09-30-2002, 10:18 AM

With this hand, this late, in poor position - I'm all in before the flop. Stack is simply too small to make a meaningful raise without going all in and the hand is too good to muck.

Only AA, AK, KK, and QQ are better than AQ. Although JJ (and other PPs) enjoy a small edge, that edge is effectively gone when you shove your whole stack in preflop. If you make a small raise then check the flop, JJ has a huge advantage over you (perhaps even KTo would make money over AQ played this way). Also, you *know* the button does not have a pair like JJ or TT (because he limped) which puts him on either a smaller pair or two big cards, if you move in, you'll likely win uncontested and if you do get called, it's probably by a hand that should not have called you (ie it's a big dog - at best a coin toss). I love when a hand like 33 or 22 calls here - what were they hoping you have - 49o? It's like an admission that you can outplay them. Anyway, I'm rambling. Move in, with a little luck you'll double up - then you should be able to steamroll the last player.

One last thing - I think the all in play is better against better competition. Good players are more likely to yield to your all in raise with a hand like 88 or KJs (where you enjoy only a marginal edge or even are a slight dog). If your competition is totally weak - you may choose to just smooth call and dump it after you miss, or start the gravy train if you hit. Then outplay from position later on.

That's how I feel about that.

soda