Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2002, 01:25 PM

Default How to Learn Triple-Draw Lowball?

Nobody spreads triple-draw lowball anywhere near where I live. It's getting a reputation in the South and in Las Vegas as a up-and-coming game that no one has a clue how to play. Popular games that otherwise-good players don't know how to play sound like an opportunity to me, as long as I don't fall into the same category.

How can I prepare myself for the opportunities that might present themselves to me the next time I'm in Vegas? There are no books about the game; all I have to go on is my basic knowledge of California lowball and overall card sense.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:01 PM

Default Re: How to Learn Triple-Draw Lowball?

I think someone should talk Sklansky into writing a book on Triple-draw. I don't know that there is one out there now.

Later
bkeaton@juno.com
Old 09-24-2002, 12:43 AM

Triple draw has been around for years, falling in and out of favor. There have been a few threads on 2+2 and RGP over the years. About a year ago, Jim Geary wrote a couple of beautiful posts about pot limit triple draw 2-7 on this forum. Check them out in the archives. He may have put them on his web site:

http://www.jimgeary.com

Go to his poker page and check out the letters on poker.

It's a great game. I hope nobody writes a book about it.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:41 AM

The only place I've seen this game spread on the Vegas Strip is in the high-limit section of the Bellagio. Usually, it's part of a mixed game with limits of at least 100-200 and usually at least twice that.

Old 09-24-2002, 01:08 PM

I couldn't find. So how is this game played. We're always looking for a new game.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:58 PM

Mechanics of game:
1). Can be played (A-5) or (2-7) and as a mixed game.
2). There are four betting rounds: a. before 1st discard; b. After each subsequent drawing round. You get more opportunities to make money or build pot?
3). Can be played with single limit, double limit, pot limit, or no limit structure.
4). Lot's of opportunity to trap and/or out play your opponent.
It can be a very exciting, action game! Since there are 4 betting rounds, pots tend to be larger that regular lowball games. Still look for good betting hands and good draws.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:35 PM

How many cards can be drawn each round What do you do with discards What if there are not enough cards to go around Is it usually 2-7
Old 09-25-2002, 11:22 AM

The rules of draw poker apply to the number of discards (unless you are in some strnage games that have make up rules).

If the drawing cards have been used then the disacrd stub from previous rounds is shuffled and used to complete the action as necessay. (If you have many fish in the hand, it may be necessary to shuffle the stub in the last round also).

Rarely should you see more than two hands competing after the second discard (but I would not discourage a salmon from continuing up stream). One caution, if you have discarded paired wheel cards, they will return to the available cards on the re-shuffle stub. (could be the miracle for the salmon going up stream) A 'bug' has been used in the games I haved played. I have played in Tunica, and there is a mix of A-5 and 2-7 and mixed game rotating a round of each.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:40 PM

Another popular form is 3-card to the A-2-3. I think it works a little better when there are more than five or six players.

I prefer playing pot limit or 5-10-15-20 type limits. I think they promote better long-term action than no limit. Also, Kansas City (7-5) has more pitfalls and quirks to trap the unwary player.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:27 AM

Default advice?

This sounds like an interesting game. I'd like to introduce it into my home game, but only if I feel I have an advantage. Would some of you who are experienced with this game be so kind as to give a quick outline of basic strategies that have worked for you?