Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2003, 01:05 AM

Default omaha ???

All,
I usually play hold'em so don't laugh to hard but I played this hand and thought that I had a str8 and then as the hand progressed a flush but they only said I had a pair of 4's, what gives here. I thought this was like hold'em but with more cards.

***** Hand History for Game 86801652 *****
0.50/1 OmahaHiGameTable - Sat Jun 28 00:47:11 EDT 2003
Table Horseshoes (Real Money) -- Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: wdbaker ( $23.50)
Seat 2: DTMJR ( $11)
Seat 3: Sofia7 ( $29)
Seat 4: scratchfaldi ( $70.75)
Seat 5: billclee ( $18.75)
Seat 6: williacj ( $5.50)
Seat 7: GypsyPrince ( $4.50)
Seat 8: bdollreno ( $41.75)
Seat 9: Loganbigdog ( $83.25)
Seat 10: djgratcher ( $83)
billclee posts small blind (0.25)
williacj posts big blind (0.50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to wdbaker [ Kc, 4c, Ah, Tc ]
GypsyPrince folds.
bdollreno calls (0.50)
djgratcher calls (0.50)
wdbaker calls (0.50)
DTMJR calls (0.50)
Sofia7 calls (0.50)
billclee calls (0.25)
williacj checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Qs, 5c, Js ]
billclee checks.
williacj checks.
bdollreno checks.
djgratcher checks.
wdbaker bets (0.50)
DTMJR calls (0.50)
Sofia7 calls (0.50)
billclee folds.
williacj folds.
bdollreno calls (0.50)
djgratcher folds.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4h ]
bdollreno checks.
wdbaker bets (1)
DTMJR calls (1)
Sofia7 calls (1)
bdollreno folds.
** Dealing River ** : [ 6c ]
wdbaker bets (1)
DTMJR calls (1)
Sofia7 folds.
** Summary **
Main Pot: $10 | Rake: $0.50
Board: [ Qs 5c Js 4h 6c ]
wdbaker balance $20.50, lost $3 [ Kc 4c Ah Tc ] [ a pair of fours -- Ah,Qs,Js,4c,4h ]
DTMJR balance $18, bet $3, collected $10, net +$7 [ Kd 4d Jh 9s ] [ two pairs, jacks and fours -- Qs,Jh,Js,4d,4h ]
Sofia7 balance $27, lost $2 (folded)
billclee balance $18.25, lost $0.50 (folded)
williacj balance $5, lost $0.50 (folded)
GypsyPrince balance $4.50, didn't bet (folded)
bdollreno balance $40.75, lost $1 (folded)
Loganbigdog balance $83.25, sits out
djgratcher balance $82.50, lost $0.50 (folded)
Old 06-28-2003, 01:29 AM

Default Re: omaha ???

I played like 6 hands and lost $15 before I realized something was dreadfully wrong, went to a limit hold'em table and got it all back on the second hand with JJ and a 3rd J on the flop [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

so can someone tell me whats up with the omaha thing, thanks ahead of time, I thought maybe you all would get a good laugh out of this otherwise I would just go look it up the rules myself so don't flame me [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 01:36 AM

WD, you have to play 2 cards from your hand and 3 from the board, so yes you only had a pair of fours. You actually were dealt a pretty mediocre starting hand, got one of the better flops you could hope for (short of flopping a boat or the 2c 3c) with your wrap Broadway straight draw although there was a flush draw on the flop. You just didn't get any help on the turn or river and ended up with a pair of 4s.

What I would do however, is follow DTMJR around and get into the game if he is in it. I know it was a low-limit game but that was one god-awful hand he paid to take to the river.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:32 AM

Your cards: [ Kc, 4c, Ah, Tc ]
The Boards: Flop=[ Qs, 5c, Js ], Turn=[ 4h ], river=[ 6c ]
DTMJR cards: [ Kd 4d Jh 9s ]
Take each 2 card holding from your hand (6 combinations)
[Kc,Tc] [Kc,Ah] [Kc,4c] [4c,Tc] [4c,Ah] [Ah,Tc] and match them against the board cards to find the best possible 5 cards poker hand using 3 cards from the board. Then repeat the process for DTMJR and compare his hand to yours. This will show you the comparison of hands. In Omaha you can use your 4 cards to make 6 possible hands. In reviewing your hand you only had 3 good combinations:
[Ah,Tc][Kc,Tc] [Kc,Ah], which means you only had half of an Omaha hand. You should start with 6 good combinations & can get by with 5 combo if they are very strong. Once the flop comes down, you must evaluate how well your combos fit. If you don't have strong made hands or nut draws; then you should strongly consider surrendering, unless you can out-play the opposition. In Omaha, it will be difficult because they have so many ways to make a hand.
The reason I play Omaha is the mistakes made by others (especially Holdem players). In holdem you may play 1, 2, or none of the cards in your hand to win part of the pot.
In Omaha, you MUST play 2 FROM YOUR HAND and 3 FROM THE BOARD. There is no option
Old 06-28-2003, 10:25 AM

Default In Your Defense

One of poker's oldest adages is 'know the rules of the game you are playing'. But then I guess you thought you knew the rules of the game you were playing.

In your defense there is an obscure version of Hold'em where you get four hole cards instead of two and can use any five cards to make your hand but I have never seen it played though have read about its existence. I think it even went by the name of Omaha. The game we all know as Omaha may well have come from it.

Old 06-28-2003, 10:05 PM

Default Re: In Your Defense

In your defense there is an obscure version of Hold'em where you get four hole cards instead of two and can use any five cards to make your hand but I have never seen it played though have read about its existence.

We played a few hands of this game at Dynasty's behest during our home game. Clarkmeister owned me by being ridiculously overaggressive and making me think that my pedestrian poker hands weren't good enough in this game.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:01 AM

"We played a few hands of this game at Dynasty's behest during our home game."

There is an individual in our home game who deals this once in a while as a high/low game with a declare.

The trouble with the game (IMHO) is nobody has any idea what anybody else has. I mean it's virtually impossible to get a good read on somebody's hand. Someone could start with two pair, catch one card on the board, and end up with a full house without the board pairing. It's nice when you, yourself, get dealt trips, two pair, four cards to a low straight flush, four wheel cards, or some other great starting four - but when you don't have one of those hands you never know for sure if one of your opponents does.

Although I hate the game, I do all right at it (in a full game) by very tight starting hand selection. Heads-up or short handed it would be like coin flipping. Yuk.

Buzz

Old 06-29-2003, 10:49 AM

At least you were playing in a game where your skill level was about the same as the other players - almost nil [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

At every online poker site there are the basic rules of the game you are playing. Check them out before you put your $ up. Even better, get a book (Ray Zee's the best) to learn starting hands and strategies. To jump into a game without understanding the basics is not a good strategy.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:04 PM

You must play 2 cards from your hand and 3 from the board in Omaha.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:09 PM

Someone could start with two pair, catch one card on the board, and end up with a full house without the board pairing.

Huh??? You need a pair on the board for a full house in Omaha. You only get to use 2 cards from your hand.