Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 03:47 PM

Default need help on this bubble hand

Was I correct in pushing here? Also does anyone know of any converters that work with Pacific Poker?

Pacific Poker $11. 4 handed. Blinds 75/150
Hero (SB) ~ t1800
Villian 1 (BB) ~ t2400
Villian 2 (UTG) ~ t1700
JoeBlow (Button) ~ t2100
* Villian 2 had miniraised preflop frequently the past few hands and met no resistance.

Dealt to Hero: Jc Js

Villian 2 raises to t300. JoeBlow folds. Hero pushes. Villian 1 raises all in. Villian 2 folds.

Should I have just played for set value since I still had more than 10xBB? Only reraised? Thanks in advance for advice.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: need help on this bubble hand

I think if you're going to reraise here, you might as well push. Any smaller raise is going to leave you pot committed, so you might as well push them all in (and make some coinflip hands like KQ fold). Additionally, you're out of position, so you'd rather get them in preflop to negate that disadvantage. With you and the other smaller stack getting into a big hand, Its doubtful that the bigstack in the BB is going to get involved without a monster (which, apparently he had. bummer.)

Also, as far as set value goes, I dont think any of the stacks are deep enough at this point to really play a pocket pair just for set value.

On a side note, do you go to duke, or just happen to be in durham?
Old 07-30-2005, 04:36 PM

I have to disagree with DJ on this one. You've got 10BB left after you call which is plenty to play with...especially with no big chip leader. I think you call here and push if the flop looks like it missed everybody. Fish hooks are just too weak to push with pre-flop following a raise. Once villan1 reriases your pinched between a raiser and a reraiser with JJ. Even shorthanded i don't like this...if you called the original raise (instead of pushing) and villan1 makes this play you can get out of the way.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:27 PM

I think your push was clearly the correct play. Your read has you with easily the best hand at the time you decide to push, and you are pushing 1800 to collect 450 which makes pushing easily worthwhile and the best play. A large majority of the time BB will not have a hand and villian2 will either be folding to your all in or calling with an inferior hand.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:56 PM

I thought for sure that I would only have to worry about the BB after a raise and a reraise if he had QQ+ and AQ+. Also, I hate just calling JJ because I never know whether to push on the flop when a queen comes. Throw in the fact that villian 1 had been miniraising a lot and I thought a push was best.

Sadly, I forgot to compensate for the donk factor at $11's and the BB turned up KQ and caught a queen on the river.

Will

p.s. I go to Emory but I've lived in Durham my whole life. I'm working at Duke this summer.

p.p.s When I asked about the pacific poker converter I meant any kind of software like pokertracker of pokeroffice that works with pacific? Anyone heard on any? Thanks.