Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 11:12 PM

Default AK overcard headsup play

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

BB is interesting. He's a bit of a maniac but aggressive nonetheless. I think he's showing some aggression because he's paired up on something on the flop unless I come over the top on him with a 3-bet or cap. He did try to bluff check-raise a busted flush draw on the river once only to get 3-bet and actually call that down, so he's a bit passive too when played back at.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.
I usually try to bet out first on the flop or toss in a raise to put people behind me 2 more bets. If I'm raised, then I might call if I have enough odds for 3 outs, usually with a small field I don't. I tried to raise and hopefully get a free card on the turn if I don't hit then.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.
I think BB has something since he isn't scared of my raise and since the pot is small, I think folding is the best option.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

Did I play this correctly? Usually I try to be an early aggressor with AK overs on the flop in a small field (2 opponents or less) and slow down on the river, maybe the turn, if things don't improve. I might 3-bet occassionally with maniacs who I think also might have overs (AQ and very rarely AJ). If I'm capped I'm probably looking to fold on the turn unless I have odds to see the river if I think my overs are good. How would this be played differently if I were to have 2 or 3 players behind me? Would it be correct to call the flop bet from BB since the pot would be much larger?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: AK overcard headsup play

Overs prefer ragged flops. This one is anything but (flush draw, and straight possibilites). Granted BB might be blind deffending with very little but your not ahead enough here. I could see making a call on this flop, I understand the raise (to either cool him or make him fold-which I don't think it'll do offten enough to make it worth it) but I wouldn't do it. I'd call the flop just to show him I don't drop to the first sign of aggression. But I'd fold this turn UI.
As far as more people being in the pot. Though that makes the pot bigger I think it hurts your chances more than helps them. TPTK less likely to hold up against more players on this board(and you haven't even made TPTK yet).
I can understand firring one more shot at it but you missed the flop. Save your bets for a better flop.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:46 AM

I can't let this post go by without responding. This post includes real reads, not just stats. It has thorough and complete though processes. Hell, it's even readable after the changes that b0rked the converter. Way to go, OP. You get a gold star, and you saved Razz. I see that you haven't been around the forums much, but if you put this much effort into all your posts (and replies!), both you and the forum will benefit greatly.

One of the things I take my closest notes on is what villains donkbet (donkbet generally means a bet out from a player who was not an aggressor on a previous street). BB donkbetting this flop could mean a lot of things, especially since it's a HU blind defense. Some players donkbet when they have nothing. Some donkbet when they hit a monster. Some donkbet their marginal hands, but check/raise their monsters. Donkbetting and blind defense, however, go hand in hand.

Players frequently have a SOP when it comes to blind defense. Some bet out any flop to see if it hit you, and they'll fold to a raise. Some check/raise any flop to try and fold you. Some will only bet or check/raise when they hit. Some will just call call call with anything or nothing. Some will give up on the flop. Some will peel any flop, but fold the turn. The important thing is that it seldom changes (when it does, you know something big is up). Learning this about your opponents (even just a part) is HUGE, espeically since this seems to be a tight table. 1/2 is known for increased tightness relative to .50/1, so blind stealing and defense becomes that much more important.

Once BB donks you, I see two possible courses of action: yours (although betting the turn and checking the river if he doesn't lead again), and alternatively calling the flop, and folding the turn UI. The fact that BB is aggressive favors the first (since he'll bet with a lot of hands, the raise may be for value), but the fact that he tends to call down when it's obvious he's beaten leans somewhat towards the second (the raise won't fold a pair of 3s). Since your read says he doesn't fold much, your choice of line should hinge primarily on what he'll bet here. Will he bet with a flush draw? Ace high? Any two? Will he only bet with a pair? The more hands you can put him on when he bets, the better the raise. Your raise is marginal, but it may be +EV against some aggressive players. I think your fold on the turn is good. That play looks a lot like 7x that is relieved that a broadway card didn't fall.

Nice hand. Nice post.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:03 AM

Thanks for the advice. I didn't get to see too many hands of BB while multitabling except for that. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this: "That play looks a lot like 7x that is relieved that a broadway card didn't fall." and the "7x"? Could you clarify this statement a bit more?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:09 AM

Looks fine to me.