Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 07:32 AM

Default H.O.R.S.E. structure question

How does the structure work in a HORSE tournament when you move from hold'em games to the stud games?

Example 1: suppose the first level is 50-100 with 25 sb and 50 bb for hold'em and omaha/8. Now you switch to Razz, Stud, Stud/8. What is the pre-card betting for Stud? Do you have the player 1 to the dealer's left put in 25 for the sb and the player 2 to the dealer's left put in 50 for the bb but both as ante's (I.e., not a bet on the first round) and then still have the lowest card do the bring-in for 25 (high card in Razz)? My thinking was what made the most sense was for the player to the dealer's left put in a blind/ante of 50 (not a bet on the first round) and then the low card do the bring-in for 25. But this may not be enough money in the pot. But I have no experience with HORSE, how is it really done?

Example 2: now say we are on level 4 which is 200-400 with a 25 ante. So in hold'em and omaha/8 each player puts in a 25 ante and the the 100-200 blinds come in. Now in stud do we do the same as in example 1 plus the ante from everyone?
Old 06-23-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: H.O.R.S.E. structure question

[ QUOTE ]
How does the structure work in a HORSE tournament when you move from hold'em games to the stud games?

Example 1: suppose the first level is 50-100 with 25 sb and 50 bb for hold'em and omaha/8. Now you switch to Razz, Stud, Stud/8. What is the pre-card betting for Stud?

[/ QUOTE ]

50-100 with a 10 ante and 15 forced bet from the lowest card showing (in stud-8 the forced bet is also from the lowest card, but in razz it's the highest card). The next player can fold, call the 15, or "complete the bet" by putting out 15 + another 35 to make it 50. After someone makes it 50, the next raise is to 100.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have the player 1 to the dealer's left put in 25 for the sb and the player 2 to the dealer's left put in 50 for the bb but both as ante's (I.e., not a bet on the first round) and then still have the lowest card do the bring-in for 25 (high card in Razz)? My thinking was what made the most sense was for the player to the dealer's left put in a blind/ante of 50 (not a bet on the first round) and then the low card do the bring-in for 25. But this may not be enough money in the pot. But I have no experience with HORSE, how is it really done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stud rounds use antes and a forced bet instead of blinds and a button. If you are changing the levels based on time rather than on a fixed number of hands, then freeze the button in place after the Omaha round, and then when the next holdem round comes up you start moving it again.

[ QUOTE ]
Example 2: now say we are on level 4 which is 200-400 with a 25 ante. So in hold'em and omaha/8 each player puts in a 25 ante and the the 100-200 blinds come in. Now in stud do we do the same as in example 1 plus the ante from everyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

200-400 should have a ante of 25 and forced bet of 50.

Antes in the stud rounds should be between 1/8 and 1/4 of a small bet, and the forced low card bet should be either 1/4 or 1/3 of a small bet.