Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-16-2005, 03:16 PM

Default How do you view astrology?

I was wondering whats your vision on astrology( I used the search function and it turns out that sklansky would rather have a son addicted to heroine instead of one that belived in astrology in spite of the evidence, but all the debate was about that statement)
Anyway whats your vision about astrology? Im reading Linda Goodman book called Sun sings( she is supposed to be a famous astrologer from the 60s) and I think she just adds typical human characterisitcs to each sign.(we cancer actually care for others but we prefer to wait for somebody else to help them. I think all humans are a bit like that) However my sister( who just ended medicine on the best chilean school) insists that astrology is true and that Im a typical Cancer. Even my dad says astrology is kinda true and he says that when Im older I will understand astrology( he is a top level civil engineer, he also like pysics a lot and has like ten copybooks with equations).
Old 12-16-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: How do you view astrology?

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering whats your vision on astrology( I used the search function and it turns out that sklansky would rather have a son addicted to heroine instead of one that belived in astrology in spite of the evidence, but all the debate was about that statement)
Anyway whats your vision about astrology? Im reading Linda Goodman book called Sun sings( she is supposed to be a famous astrologer from the 60s) and I think she just adds typical human characterisitcs to each sign.(we cancer actually care for others but we prefer to wait for somebody else to help them. I think all humans are a bit like that) However my sister( who just ended medicine on the best chilean school) insists that astrology is true and that Im a typical Cancer. Even my dad says astrology is kinda true and he says that when Im older I will understand astrology( he is a top level civil engineer, he also like pysics a lot and has like ten copybooks with equations).

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe astrology is total nonsense....but that's a typical Aries response, of course.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sklansky would rather have a son addicted to heroine instead of one that belived in astrology

[/ QUOTE ]

I never went to the thread, but I can relate to what DS was expressing (??). Heroin addiction can be cured. Astrology addiction is more indicative of inherent problems with brain/mind structure, and even if the specific issue of astrology can be addressed, there is still the perhaps unsolvable situation of "a mind that could be seduced by astrology". That is scary.

luckyme,
my mind would change, if it thought I was wrong.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Astrology is awesome. I would rather my son believe in astrology than be addicted to meth.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Astrology addiction is more indicative of inherent problems with brain/mind structure

[/ QUOTE ]

So is a heroin addiction.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Astrology addiction is more indicative of inherent problems with brain/mind structure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

You are both wrong?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

You are both wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be quiet, the adults are speaking.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway whats your vision about astrology?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't help but to remember a scene in Long Dark Teatime of the Soul, which is the second Dirk Gently book by the late Douglas Adams.

In the book, Dirk knows the person who writes the horoscopes for the newspaper. For whatever reason, the horoscope writer always makes awful predictions for Dirk. It ends with a comment to the effect that the newspaper didn't understand why it lost 1/12th of its readers.

I guess that sums up what I think of astrology.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it turns out that sklansky would rather have a son addicted to heroine instead of one that belived in astrology in spite of the evidence

[/ QUOTE ]

What evidence? That's the problem of astrology. It makes a series of assertions based upon theories that have no evidence. However, it is coincidentally correct enough times that anecdotal stories allow it to perpetuate.

To believe in astrology is to ignore human reason.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it turns out that sklansky would rather have a son addicted to heroine instead of one that belived in astrology in spite of the evidence

[/ QUOTE ]
What evidence?

[/ QUOTE ]
The evidence against it. There is plenty.

(You're reading the sentence with an implicit "for it" at the end, but that's not what it says.)