Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default Re: Missed river value bet

i don't think Ace high calls everytime. the question is do they call enough for it to show value? i don't think you can say HELL YES so confidently. i think it is close. i also don't mind the river check and in the long run cannot see it being a big loss of value for the bets you save when you are behind and the risk of being bluffraised(which may not even be a factor, i am just throwing it out there because some people may fold to it). obviously, a good read could change some things.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 PM

If you're intent on getting to showdown - checking and calling is the correct play.

Villian is not folding a better hand enough of the time to give a bet value and he'll always call with hands that are ahead. However, given the texture of this board (4-straight/3-flush) there are many hands that are ahead that won't bet and we see showdown for free. OTOH - there are also many hands (ie. A-high) that might take a shot at the pot when checked to but, wouldn't have called a river bet.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

oh, and i forgot to add that a major reason i like a river check is not just to save a bet, but to induce a bluff out of lesser hands that would not have called a bet. i can't believe i did not mention that part.

edit to say crunchy already said this and i agree.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:12 PM

i dont think you have to bet here man. this board is extremely frightening and large enough to have to call a river raise. i like the check/call expecially, especially since villain is a TAG, and not an awful passive call station fish that wont bet/raise with the nuts but calls down with a pair of 4's
Old 12-31-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Results

Villain had TT and MHIG.