Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Your thoughts on Jesus

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, the style is that of a devoted Christian. For this reason this is a very controvertial quote.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if not for that reason than another.

[/ QUOTE ]
You seem to be implying that those who doubt the legitimacy of this quote are just being argumentative. It's not just a handful of cantankerous atheists who agrue that this text has been compromised. Christians have been arguing about it for over 300 years (i.e. ever since it became possible to argue about these issues in the western world without getting burned at the stake just for speaking up).
Old 12-22-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As it refers to jesus - Brutus attracted much more attention in his time, yet has nothing remotely near the influence of jesus today.

[/ QUOTE ]
Better yet, John the Baptist attracted far more attention than Jesus did.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:04 AM

I think it's interesting that you want to hear about Jesus from people 'of the same ilk' as you. You are choosing the answers you want to hear and limiting whatyou hear.
If you want to learn about the space shuttle would you ask the milkman.
Jesus character was what was so appealing, he drew crowds everywhere he went. He showed grace and mercy to the undeserving.
And well.. the reason why he is so popular today is because he is still very much alive and well and encounters those who seek Him.
It's the experience of encountering this Living God that transforms people, not just a purifying of one's ego...

Why would an intelligent person want to live for this Jesus fellow that people seem to like? Cause what he says rings true when you do what He says.
I have no problem at all expressing my need for this dude, I am totally dependant on what He does. This is what makes me strong, not weak.
There's lots of other reasons though, the work of the Holy Spirit, miracles, answered prayer, realised prophecy.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:09 AM

Well, I never met him.. I did seek him in my youth.. he didn't reply.

Don't tell me that I didn't seek the right way, because if that is so, you can find whatever you want or imagine.

He just wasn't there for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 11:31 AM

I don't know what you prayed, said, did to seek Him.
This is what it took me.
"Jesus if you are who you said you are then I want to know you"
I believe that all it takes is a surrender. From then God has been with me, it hasn't been happy and smiley faces all the time but my life has been living.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and the conciousness of a zen master could be called Universe or cosmic-centric.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'one-with-the-universe' experience the Zen master has can be acheived via a stroke or other interference with the brain module that helps us identify 'me' from 'out there'. Zen experiences are usually acheived by blood flow regulation. Having an experience, this or other%2