Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: KQo and i\'m first to act

[ QUOTE ]
I play it the exact same way. I do not think the river raise necessarily means an ace. If he had an ace he would have bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

an ace from a smart player will check this turn a lot knowing exactly what's going to happeon the river when the sb has KQ or KJ.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:48 AM

i don't see anything wrong with this at all. which is likely a bad sign for you.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:49 AM

If

[ QUOTE ]
it's a defensive check, and it's screaming that I want to get to showdown. Either that or I'm going for a checkraise with a strong hand in which case I'm not folding to a river raise either.

[/ QUOTE ]

is true

then

[ QUOTE ]
one other line that we decided was super expert

[/ QUOTE ]

Would have to be to 3bet the river.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If

[ QUOTE ]
it's a defensive check, and it's screaming that I want to get to showdown. Either that or I'm going for a checkraise with a strong hand in which case I'm not folding to a river raise either.

[/ QUOTE ]

is true

then

[ QUOTE ]
one other line that we decided was super expert

[/ QUOTE ]

Would have to be to 3bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey justin, i check/call the river. i don't think i'd call the river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talking about the hand afterwards, mike said he's bluff raising that river about 0% of the time. The reason is that when I check the turn, it's a defensive check, and it's screaming that I want to get to showdown. Either that or I'm going for a checkraise with a strong hand in which case I'm not folding to a river raise either.

Given that I'm still uncertain whether bet/fold or check/call is best on the river.

Also there's one other line that we decided was super expert, any guesses?

[/ QUOTE ]

justin, i think i've changed my mind to bet/fold. mike is almost never betting the river w/ a worse hand when you check to him but will call with worse hands.

also, i think the super expert line is to c/r the river and fold to a 3-bet. bet/3-betting is too spewy, imo
Old 12-14-2005, 08:52 AM

no it was for him to c/r the river. i would be forced to fold a lone A if he did that. but a lot of this has to do with how we play live and our perception of each other's game.

anyway when i call the flop it's pretty clear i have an A or some weak draw like a gutter ball or paired the low card on the flop. the check on the turn by me is a defensive check. it's either a hand to weak to call a river bet, or an A. justin's 3 betting standards from the sb here are pretty high. he's not just doing this with any hand.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyway when i call the flop it's pretty clear i have an A or some weak draw like a gutter ball or paired the low card on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not a K? I think you'd be defensive with a K also.

[ QUOTE ]
justin's 3 betting standards from the sb here are pretty high. he's not just doing this with any hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the SB and you're likely stealing. I'm guessing pairs wise for him it's 88+ to get the BB out. How does his pf 3 bet mean he's not beat and autobetting and your flop call means you could only have an A?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its hard for me to lay into you when I wouldve played your hand the exact same way on every street.
PREFLOP: Standard

FLOP: Standard

TURN: I love your check, by checking you take away any chance Mike can outplay you off the best hand.

RIVER: Autocall. Mike's hand is still not defined, but your hand is, he knows chances are that you have a marginal holding that you may not be able to call a river raise with, which means mike is probably raising this river with quite a few hands you can beat, He only needs to be bluffraising here a small percentage of the time(approx 12%) to make calling the raise correct given the size of the pot.

As far as should you of checked the river?? Im not gonna let Mike1 check down Kx or worse when I have the nut second pair so I would bet like you did, and Im certainly not gonna let him raise me off this hand on the river given the weird way he played his hand.

I think you played this hand as good as you can play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is why I love poker. All this tricky deception within a hand.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:07 PM

i haven't played mike 1 but once he raises this river aren't you good approximately never?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:34 PM

I think Mike played it really well.

On the river I just can't figure a worse hand than yours that Mike plays like this and that will call a river bet, other than maybe a weaker K. Since the odds are better that he has an A OR that he'll bluff bet the river if checked to, I think a river check/call is the way to go.