Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Playing Surface Suggestions

Does anyone have a suggestion on a playing surface that can survive outside, under a covering, in a tropical island environment?

I'm thinking something along the lines of a fine astroturf material but I have no idea where to find such a thing.

Anyone done this or have suggestions?

-Ryan
Old 10-16-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Playing Surface Suggestions

Just about any high quality commercial grade carpet will work. Install it with outdoor carpet adhesive.

I would think cordura nylon over neoprene over plywood that had drainage holes drilled in it would make a fine table.

You could go ask a boat upholsterer.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:22 PM

No boat upholsterer for miles out here.

I'll see what I can come up with as far as carpeting is concerned. You think drainage holes in the wood would be a good thing? I would imagine that would give more spots for moisture to absorb into the wood?

Right now I have a pre-treated pine that I planned to use for the top itself. I figured a few coats of sealant on it and I should be good to go.

I'll look for some fine carpet around here but am not too optimistic. I am going to hit the golf course today to see if they have any of the surface material they use for the tee boxes and greens for a test too. It's more like carpet than AstroTurf so that may be on the right track.

As far as the nylon over neoprene...you know this or just an idea?
Old 10-16-2005, 10:10 PM

Just an idea.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:14 PM

regular felt wouldnt hold up?
Old 10-17-2005, 05:59 AM

I played on a table once that had marine vinal for both the rail and center peice and it wasn't actually tht bad no cool chip sounds when they hit the table but it worked. I think a regular ultrasuede would work just as well just feep a cover over it when you are not playing
Old 10-17-2005, 09:30 AM

I've also played on a vinyl table before and it worked really well. Like Sations said, the sound isn't the same but as far as a surface where the cards slide nicely and can be picked uo easily (as long as you pad the table properly) vinyl works almost as well as felt. Plus, the tougher, non-porous vinyl surface would definitely hold up better in those conditions.

Good luck,
Matt

P.S. Since I'm about to enter another gorgeous New Jersey winter, I just have to say in the kindest way possible, Go F yourself for living on a tropical island [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go F yourself for living on a tropical island

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so much. Although it's 7 degrees south of the equator, it's not exactly loaded with tourists. There are no cruise ships, and no commercial air travel out here. So not quite the paradise you may imagine.

I leave here in January and head back to snowy and cold northern Japan anyway.

Well, I'll take all this info and see what I can put together and make this bad boy. The table we're currently using isn't bad, but needs upgrading anyway.

Pics to come down the road. Thanks for the ideas and if anyone has further suggestions bring 'em on.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go F yourself for living on a tropical island

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so much. Although it's 7 degrees south of the equator, it's not exactly loaded with tourists. There are no cruise ships, and no commercial air travel out here. So not quite the paradise you may imagine.

I leave here in January and head back to snowy and cold northern Japan anyway.

Well, I'll take all this info and see what I can put together and make this bad boy. The table we're currently using isn't bad, but needs upgrading anyway.

Pics to come down the road. Thanks for the ideas and if anyone has further suggestions bring 'em on.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I recognize that 'tropical paradise'... I don't think he's there by choice.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
My son did a 6 mo tour there a year or so ago... anyway, I would think some sort of nylon would work best.. maybe a parachute.. maybe multiple layers to give it some cushioning, if you can't find any foam... good luck!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I recognize that 'tropical paradise'... I don't think he's there by choice..
My son did a 6 mo tour there a year or so ago...

[/ QUOTE ]

haha i gotcha. I had initially checked the post from a work computer and couldn't view the picture. Good luck.