Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-06-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Wynn 150-300 -- I hate limit hold\'em

The Swede was a great player, easily the best in the game.

[ QUOTE ]
would your hand in that situation against that guy merit an all-in bet on the flop in no-limit?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably, especially if you are sick like me and enjoy flipping coins for all the money.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:12 PM

I am young and can't help being a spazz.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Results

He had TT and won. I thought his river bet was strange, since I looked more likely to bluff then call a bet.

After the hand I wasn't too happy with my line, though I'm glad not everyone thinks it was horrible. When he three-bet the flop I thought he had 77+, a flush draw, or occasionally nothing. I knew I had an equity edge on the flop and was paranoid about getting checkraised on the turn, so I didn't give enough weight to my chances of folding the underpairs. I think there was a chance I could've got him to fold 77-TT with a turn raise, so Paluka's line is probably best.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:25 PM

I come to the Wynn because my friend says there's a 25-50 NL game going, and when I get to the poker room he points me to a table in the back corner. It's 3-handed at this point and everyone has piles of green, black and cash. I walk over and buy in.

The Wynn sells smoothies by volume in metric and the floorman takes forever to bring my chips, so I'm a little confused and distracted. I'm not paying much attention the the action, but I do notice that the blinds are 75-150 instead of 25-50. I fold some trash in my blinds while trying to decide if I can drink a half liter of smoothie. On my first button I pick up TT and open for 450.

The dealer says, "sir, that's too much." I notice everyone is staring at me. I pull back 150 and pretend nothing happened.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:44 PM

Hi Love:

There are no plans at this moment for me to do another book. My efforts are being concentrated on bringing out other top notch books by other authors.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-06-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
He had TT and won. I thought his river bet was strange, since I looked more likely to bluff then call a bet.

After the hand I wasn't too happy with my line, though I'm glad not everyone thinks it was horrible. When he three-bet the flop I thought he had 77+, a flush draw, or occasionally nothing. I knew I had an equity edge on the flop and was paranoid about getting checkraised on the turn, so I didn't give enough weight to my chances of folding the underpairs. I think there was a chance I could've got him to fold 77-TT with a turn raise, so Paluka's line is probably best.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, I think your line is actually fine if you are planning on folding the river. I don't think the guy is bluffing. In high limit games, nobody gives up on the turn in a big pot like that. So usually the turn check is for cheap showdown purposes or because you are on a pure draw. So bluffing the river is pointless, you either have a hand you are calling with or a missed draw. Any bet here by an experienced player is a value bet, unless somehow he was on the same flush draw.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The nerdy SB has a shiny WSOP bracelet on his wrist and obvious self-esteem issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

No sense beating around the bush GOG. We all know the player in question's name start with a "Dan" and rhymes with Scruff.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:34 PM

I was the "WSOP boy" in question.

It's sad that "The Gift" here couldn't just discuss the hand in question, without peppering the message with lame insults and pseudo-intellectual psychobabble. I could make a few comments about him, but I'll refrain for now...

Regarding the situation and the hand:

1) It is true that a drunk sat down in the game. The drunk was strange. At first he acted like he had no clue what he was doing (so badly that it seemed over-the-top and phony), and kept proclaiming he was drunk. He must have said he was drunk about 10 times in the first 5 minutes at the table. Despite all of this, he was folding every hand. Finally I got tired of this apparent ruse, amd I told him that none of us were buying his act. But...

It turned out that he really WAS a clueless drunk, as his subsequent play showed! The tightness ended, and he really did seem to be drunk without an idea of how to play properly. He chunked off a good 10k or so rather quickly before leaving. However, he was insulted that I called him a liar, and he started talking trash to me. I talked trash back to him, and basically acted like I was raising hands wildly because he was firing me up. Not true at all. I did this on purpose, and decided that, the way this guy was playing, I could get a lot more action from him when I did have good (or ideally great) hands. After taking a few beats against him early, I did indeed beat him out of a lot of his money.

"The Gift" tries to make us understand that I was agitated, but in the example he posted about, I had tens -- a very strong hand shorthanded, and certainly strong on a jack-rag-rag flop. I won't bother to further explain my play on that one. Some people have already explained it pretty well.

"The Gift" can say what he wants regarding me being "nerdy", but the fact is that the only reason the trash talking started between me and the "jock" (more like a fat, drunk idiot) was because I was the one who had the stones to call the guy out on what appeared to be a fake drunk act. (Everyone else at the table just quietly whispered about this, afraid to confront him.) Once it turned out he really was a drunk, I was the only one going back and forth with the guy in order to get more action out of him.

I guess that "The Gift" saw this whole thing as some "nerd vs. jock" routine out of a bad '80s teen movie, rather than the situation it really was.

I guess some of us call out the jerks at the table (and get their action), while others slink away quietly and post on forums from the safety of their computer.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess some of us call out the jerks at the table (and get their action), while others slink away quietly and post on forums from the safety of their computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being the Noted Poker Authority (trademark pending), I receive a lot of unsolicited (and often unwanted) attention from men and women alike. Recently, it's begun to get out of hand, so I'm looking to hire a personal security liason.

I've searched high and low, and no one yet has had the elusive combination of keen wit and old-fashioned moxie necessary to protect my well-being from the unwashed masses. Being a World Champion poker player with the grapes to stand up to washed-up jock, faux drunkards menacing high-limit games, I think you may just be the ideal candidate.

If you'd like to apply for the job, please email me at edmiller@notedpokerauthority.com.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:06 PM

9.5/10
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]