Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 06:40 PM

Default TPTK + nut flush draw - Call this gross overbet?

I've never played with this guy so I have no reads. Is this a standard call?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($608.25)
BB ($698.25)
UTG ($782.35)
MP ($546)
Button ($233.45)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls $22, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($56) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP calls $521 (All-In), Hero calls $521.

Turn: ($1098) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($1098) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $1098

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ac Ks (flush, ace high).
MP has Ad Ah (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $1098. </font>
Old 06-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: TPTK + nut flush draw - Call this gross overbet?

I think I would look at it for awhile, bitch about it to someone in the room with me then hit call. The play looks like Aces, Kings, or AK preflop. I think I would fold there. With the flop you are beating Kings, tied with AK, and losing to AA. With all of those hands, the villan cannot catch a better flush, so the only real worry would be a K (that leaves 1 out), or a runner runner to pair the board. While I am not sure (and might run it a few times when I get home) this would be slightly +EV
Old 06-16-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The play looks like Aces, Kings, or AK preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?!?!

he open raises so you put him on 1 of 3 hands?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:52 PM

if you call, you are gonna look at top set...
Old 06-16-2005, 06:52 PM

I was looking more at the amount of raise followed by the size of the bet afterward. The raise could be just about anything, but the push looks like a I have a good hand and don't want you drawing out on me. Could be wrong, this time I turned out to be right.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:54 PM

I'm definitely not calling here... There are too many ways that you are beat here and even if you do catch your flush, many of those cards kill you by making a full house for him. For me, this is an easy fold.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would look at it for awhile, bitch about it to someone in the room with me then hit call. The play looks like Aces, Kings, or AK preflop. I think I would fold there. With the flop you are beating Kings, tied with AK, and losing to AA. With all of those hands, the villan cannot catch a better flush, so the only real worry would be a K (that leaves 1 out), or a runner runner to pair the board. While I am not sure (and might run it a few times when I get home) this would be slightly +EV

[/ QUOTE ]

Youre not tied with AK, you are freerolling any other AK
Old 06-16-2005, 07:01 PM

To me, without reads, this is pretty much a standard fold.If this guy doesnt show AA here, I would never ever ever ever leave his table. I really dont like the call.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:04 PM

Tough call b/c this play often times is a drawing hand trying to semibluff and lock in odds but you happen to hold the only drawing hand that would do this. I think you see a small flush or a set here the majority of the time unless the guy is a maniac (this particular line happens to be my favorite play with a flush). Fold and wait for a better spot to put your money in. (Would you call the bet with only the nut flush draw?). Why didn't you lead the flop? I think it might give you more information on where your at. Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:08 PM

Looks like a pretty unanimous fold. Here was my line of thinking. I do expect to see AA, 88, 44 a decent amount here, but the thing is I have a decent draw against those hands. I felt like I only needed to see AK, AQs, QQs, JJs, etc. a small percentage of the time to make this a + EV play since I have those hands absolutely crushed. Guess not...