How about according to cbs.sportsline's player rankings

i didnt read the rest, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: The Jays are the best team in the AL East

[ QUOTE ]

hansen- who?
mota- who?

[/ QUOTE ]

i assume you're kidding, but if not that sort of statement should eliminate you from any in-depth baseball discussion

edit: that's the sort of comment i expect from dead or our new friend eagleskickass.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oops not as what I meant it to say it should be...
If they happen to trade him they will not get full value for him. It's pretty hard to argue that.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, i agree 100% with that. thats actually the main reason i dont think he gets moved. prior to this offseason i could see the sox giving a discount on a manny deal (obv) but with the furcal/konerko signings, its just not going to happen.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

hansen- who?
mota- who?

[/ QUOTE ]

i assume you're kidding, but if not that sort of statement should eliminate you from any in-depth baseball discussion

edit: that's the sort of comment i expect from dead or our new friend eagleskickass.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know exactly who they are and their history
Old 12-06-2005, 11:12 PM

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/player...gularseason/SP
Old 12-06-2005, 11:24 PM

It doesn't exactly say how they come up with it, but this doesn't sound good.

[ QUOTE ]
The rankings are a total player-rating system based on various offensive and defensive statistics. Players increase their scores with every contribution they make to the game -- batting, slugging, baserunning and defense. Pitchers are separated into starters and relievers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-06-2005, 11:26 PM

Clement 4.57 ERA
Burnett 3.44 ERA
Therefore Clement = Burnett
Old 12-06-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clement 4.57 ERA
Burnett 3.44 ERA
Therefore Clement = Burnett

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the problem with basic, old school stats. they give you this one compact stat that really doesn't tell the whole story. stats like ERA and batting average are good outlining stats, in that usually extreme cases (0.90 era, .355 BA) they are not wrong. guys with those type of stats are going to be great players.

when using them to compare two players, its almost useless and in this case maybe even counterproductive.

AJ burnett played his home games in a pitchers park in front of a very good defense while clement played in a hitters park (a hitters division) and an awful defense (not to mention a bullpen that came equipped with gasoline and matches). take them both out of their current/past situations and give them equal defenses and opponents and the results are more than likely going to VERY close.

clement is signed for 9.5m the next two years and burnett for 11m the next two years fwiw.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:54 PM

sublime, Burnett isn't coping with beanball-shell shock. If you want to accurately compare the two, I think you need to account for Clement's pre- and post-injury numbers. I'll take Burnett.

Gary
Old 12-06-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

aj burnett (when healthy) + a great defense + pitchers park = matt clement+ a bad defense + a hitters park

[/ QUOTE ]
This was your post which started this whole argument so let me break down why your argument is wrong. Let's assume that your right with Burnett playing in a pitchers park and Clement playing in a hitters park. So let's compare their stats in away games
W L ERA GS CG SHO IP BB/9 SO/9 AVG.
7 8 3.80 19 2 1 120.2 3.31 7.19 0.245
8 4 4.90 17 0 0 101 3.03 7.04 0.263
The first line is Burnett the second is Clement. Looking at this Burnett is leading or barely behinf every category except wins and losses and the reason Clement has more wins and losses is because Boston had the highest scoring offense while the Marlins had the 21st highest scoring offense. Now your next argument is boston had a bad defense and Florida had a great defense. Actually they both had pretty bad defense In Fielding percentage Boston was 22 with .982 and Florida was 20 with .983. Also in terms of errors Boston was 23rd with 109 and Florida was 15th with 103. Seeing this I think it's pretty clear that Burnett is better than Clement.