Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Flopped set drawing slim.

10/20 online 6 max.

Hero is Sb with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]k [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I have been getting some good cards beat by crappy ones and I have played almost every hand in an orbit losing everyone. So . . everyone thinks I'm tilting and I am.

utg calls (solid and passive)
utg+1 limps
cutoff limps
Hero raises

BB calls
everyone calls

100$

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]k [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets
BB raises, I assumed this is a big Ace. AK or AJ probably or AQ Q of diamonds something. .
UTG cold calls
Utg+1 calls, figured diamond draw.
I didn't know if I wanted to three bet here or check raise the turn but figured the turn could be way too scary and three bet
BB capped
utg called
utg+1 calls
Hero called

4 players 420$

Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks
BB checks
Utg bets!
utg +1 calls

What do you do here?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Flopped set drawing slim.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know if I wanted to three bet here or check raise the turn but figured the turn could be way too scary and three bet

[/ QUOTE ]
This quote is from your flop reasoning. Though you're right that the turn might bring a scare card, this is not the primary reason to 3-bet the flop. There are two much more important ones. First, you have to 3-bet for value. You have 3 opponents in there with all sorts of possible hands. Make them pay. Second, you want to 3-bet because you cannot depend on the BB betting the turn. Having him check and then seeing everyone check behind him (trust me, this happens!) would be very bad for you. The bottom line is that the time for fancy plays is long gone and you now have to extract value out of your hand.

Along the same lines, I don't understand your turn check. Do you really think someone flopped a set with AA (extremely unlikely given the preflop action) or that QT is out there? I'm not saying that QT is impossible, but it should still be in the back of your mind, not in the forefront. As it stands, you still very likely have the best hand. Bet the turn!

But anyway, you decided to check. BB checks behind you. You now know that he has the flush draw. UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, and you must check-raise. Why? Not because you'll make BB fold his flush draw and not because you'll give him incorrect odds, but simply because you'll lower his EV. Your other opponents are likely drawing pretty thin, so almost every penny of EV that you take away from the BB ends up in your pocket.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Flopped set drawing slim.

I raise it and then cap if I'm 3-bet. If BB gets tricky and check raises then I'll be suspicious of Q10 but you have so much equity with the other retards in the hand that I still cap. It looks like BB is on a diamond draw tho.