Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Am I playing too low limits?

Hi all, just looking for some advice from veteran posters.

I've been a fairly consistent winner in the past 6 months, logging in at about +5 bb/100 at well over 100,000 hands at 50NL.
All my wins have come in small pieces (i.e. a few hundred bucks at a time or less per deposit bonus). Noticed that the pace has picked up recently as I'm usually able to match bonus amounts with my winnings. So at any rate, I am considering moving up limits again. I know it may be obvious that I should move up given some success but I'm looking for advice on how to gauge if moving up works. Current bankroll is about $10K but I'm planning to reduce it to 6K.

Anyways, a couple months back I decided it was time to move up to 100NL, over 2 days I get creamed and dropped 15% of my BR. The players did not seem much better (if any), I think I hit a really bad streak. At any rate I decided to step back and regroup, went back to consistently winning shorthanded 50NL games.

Should I set say $1K as a buffer and move up in limits and then if I lose that then back down to regroup? Any other methods you guys use to gauge when to move up and when to move back down? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Am I playing too low limits?

Get Pokertracker and analyze your stats there. Are you playing the same way in 50NL as in 100NL? Are your opponents?

That said, I think playing on a short BR for your level is perfectly acceptable and a good practice *assuming you will drop back a level if you lose it*. If it will cause you to tilt instead, it's obviously a terrible idea.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:55 PM

Thanks, I use PT and yes fairly effectively. I only played maybe 800 hands of 100NL, no differently than 50NL but my winrate might have been like -36bb/100 or something...thats what was scary about that.

I just dont want to leave a lot of potential money on the table by not moving up limits to where I should be/ could be.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 PM

at ssnl, 20 buy-ins is standard for a bankroll requirement. you're way over rolled and can easily move up.