Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Defending against resteals when probably -EV

Awhile back there was a Gigabet post where he tried to steal, he was raised all-in, and he called the raise even though he knew it was -EV to do so. His point was that if he won the additional chips won would give him a substantial chip lead from which he could dominate the table. If he lost, he would be below average stack, but still in decent position.

I think there is another reason to call resteals when caught stealing --- you discourage people from restealing you. If they see that you won't even laydown a questionable stealing hand then they'll just let you have it (Brunson talks about this in Super System as well).

So my question is: how far do you carry this? I had a situation last night as follows:

I was in a slight chip lead at my table with about 35 times the BB, about eighth overall in the tournament, seven tables paid, we were down to 78 players. In the CO+2, I raised 2 1/2 times the blind with KQs. The CO+1, a fairly tight player with a little over 10 times the BB, went all-in. When it came back around to me, I called... I didn't even consider it a close play, getting almost 2:1 on my money. It turned out he had JJ, a Q came on the flop, and a K on the river, and I won with 2 pair. The player who had bubbled out was not happy... "how could you call my all-in with THAT?" he typed. Somebody at the table chimed in with "stoopid.... most holdings would beat you hands down..."

I immediately defended myself with "I was getting almost 2:1". Later I realized I should have typed, "I don't put my chips out there without defending them!", to scare off future resteals.

So what do you all think? Was my play stupid, and I lucked out? Was it negative EV, but still ok? How bad a hand (or how good a hand) would you have to fold in that situation?
Old 08-26-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Defending against resteals when probably -EV

I make that call everytime for the reasons you said plus you have decent odds against most holdings.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:48 PM

Sometimes you just know you're beat and you have to lay it down. Poker is about everything else but the cards.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:49 PM

With a hand like KQs it's no contest, getting 2 to 1. Hell, against all but three pairs you're a coin flip, and almost all aces you have two livescards against his one ace. Be glad people who don't understand that are at your table.

Where it gets murky is with a crap hand. T9 or Q6 or something where the amount of the allin is such that you don't have odds. Here I think a call can be worth it for the metagame "don't eff with my raises" reason, but only if:

1.The odds are pretty close to good enough.

2. You have enough room to lose the hand, because you probably will.

These two things go together. If it's 200-400 and you (15000) make it 1200 with Q6 and a guy with 12000 pushes, fold. If a guy with 4000 pushes, maybe call.

In general, the message to leave your raises alone is only worth it if your stack stays big enough when you lose to take advantage, and if the value you give up with the call is small.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:03 AM

The one thing I'd do differently in this spot is NOT explain to the table how you had odds and it was the correct play. (1) I'd be happy that they thought I didn't know what I was doing, and (2) I wouldn't want to educate them in some way.

Andy.