Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Heads up vs. 3-4 handed

Does anyone ever feel like they are a great player in a SH 3or4 man game but when it comes to HU their results just aren't as good. I know I do.

For some reason it feels like being able to have 1 or 2 "free" hands helps my game trememdously. Whenever I play HU I feel like its more pure gambling rather than a skill game. I just can't seem to force myself to play the 2-4,3-8,9-4 crap and I think you have to run these hands to be successful at heads up. I know great HU players that play any two for a raise and they seem to do really well (ex. neverwin jdags)

Do most people here go along with the any two will do philosophy when playing HU? Is this how I should be approaching HU games? I usually just fold my crap hands and play big cards, but when i start missing flops my results become very bad.

I just would like to know if and how people play differently when playing HU vs. a 3or4 man game.

Comments welcome! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Heads up vs. 3-4 handed

Interesting stuff.

I see what your saying about HU being a more player dependant game. I have a hard time analyzing other people's play online. I just play with a lot of random players most of the time and usually don't play with them long enough to really see the holes in their game (usually they hit and run on me LOL).

I find myself to be a much more analytic player and I don't give much thought to how others play. Playing in a 4 man game I go into an "auto-pilot" state of mind and usually destroy the game (like winning 3K in 10-20 in 1.5Hr, thats always fun). I guess I really should start giving more thought to who I'm playing when HU. THX Mike!
Old 05-15-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Heads up vs. 3-4 handed

Some common things to analyze in an online headsup match are: will they raise draws? How often? Always? Never? Will they bluffraise? The flop? Turn? River? Checkraise bluff any of these streets? Will the bluff three shells or just two? A lot of players wont fire again on the river. How much action do they put in with TP, MP, BP etc. What hands do they checkraise for value on the flop and turn? Will they value bet ace hi on the river? Will they calldown with K hi consistently? Do they only 3bet with the goods etc. etc.. There is a lot that can be picked up on betting patterns online in a headsup match, or in a game with any # of people of course. Also if your opponent is observant, you must make sure the answer to each of these questions for yourself is exactly: "Sometimes"

-Mike