Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Fold, call or raise?

MP3 is fairly loose aggressive (32/15/2) and BB is even more laggish (40/20/2.5)

I'm a fairly tight player in this game (16/11/2) and feel like I've been run over today, but I'm not sure anyone has noticed yet.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Enon is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Enon calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Enon calls, SB calls, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Enon bets</font>, SB calls, MP3 calls.

River: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Enon ?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Fold, call or raise?

No one likes my posts? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 04:05 AM

Raise the flop.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:13 AM

If you're going to continue past the flop, I think you must raise.

MP3 is laggy, so you likely have a better hand than him, and it'd be nice to get HU with the best hand.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, you beat me to it. i post too slow when i'm trying to play and post at the same time.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:23 AM

you really need to raise the flop if you want to play.

i doubt sb has you beat and mp's action in the hand looks so odd that i think it can be a missed flush draw 1 in 8 times here to call.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:06 AM

Why is this not a fold? I figure about 5 outs (5 for 2 5's and 3 7's + 11/2 (bd flush) + 1/2 (bd straight), then discounting for the diamonds out there). So we need 8 to 1 to call, right? We are getting only 7:1, so isnt folding okay? I understand that the players are loose, so perhaps raise if you play (to drive the other player out, right?). Does this sufficiently compensate for the lower odds we are getting? Or if we call, can we simply assume the other player will probably call and provide the necessary 8:1? Im often confused in borderline situations like this one, and am not sure of the optimum course. What if we were only getting 5:1 from the pot- does this change anything?

And what should Enon do on the river. Call since the player is loose? But there seems a likely chance that he is still behind.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is this not a fold? I figure about 5 outs

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true soldier of games where a bet always means at least top pair. For Enon to assume he's behind here just because somebody made 1 bet, is just plain crazy. This is an automatic flop raise against this kind of opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
So we need 8 to 1 to call, right? We are getting only 7:1, so isnt folding okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Implied odds are a wonderful thing...

[ QUOTE ]
And what should Enon do on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Had Enon played the flop correctly and raised, the river would have been much easier. As the hand played out, this hand needs to get showndown.

Keep in mind that drawing isn't just about bets currently in the pot, but bets you can get in the pot if you hit. If he hits his 5 out draw, he probably gains 2BB from 2 players, at least, making his implied odds 11:1 at the very least, making continuing the obvious choice.

given that he should continue, he should do so with a raise. we want 5 and 6 card draws to fold, for the same reason that we are continuing, and it is possible that Enon is currently in the lead.

lf
Old 05-12-2005, 08:51 AM

Agreed, RAISE THE FLOP. You want to cut down action, give yourself a better chance to win the pot. Fold to the river bet. Obv.