Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 12:11 AM

Default Do I call this river bet

20-40 full game. I have AdKd and raise in MP. All fold except button and BB. Button is a calling station who would go to the river with even 4th best pair or couple of over cards. BB is a good solid tricky player.

Flop - 5d6s2c. I bet both call.
Turn - 7d. I bet both call.
River - 5s. BB bets.

Is it a simple call?

There is $350 in the pot. I don't see how the river card helped the BB. I had both Ad and Kd so he coudnt be bluffing a missed flush draw. If he had any pair he would have just check called. Maybe A5. But then he probably would have tried check raise.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Do I call this river bet

this is not good--- but a call would be right
Old 12-14-2004, 12:53 AM

I think it was in one of Lou Krieger's books where he tells a story about a lady that calls a bet on the river with k high or something and she wins. He asks her why she called and she says 'because i knew he had nothing". He goes on to say that if you think your opponent is bluffing you should always raise rather than just call. I don't practice this advice, nor do i even believe its good advice in most situations. This is one situation where, if your going to call, a raise could be a much stronger play to put pressure on the SB to fold a bad pair. It does look like a suspicious bet from the BB, so I wouldn't fold. I think a raise may be the play.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:14 AM

I agree that raising is better than folding, but there are a lot of hands that could beat you. Cold calling a MP raise from the blinds could be any pair in the area of 88. But I think the busted draw could be more acurate
Old 12-14-2004, 02:01 AM

If the BB is solid he's betting because he knows you'll check behind AK AQ and he wants value out of them.

However, if BB is solid he'll be doing this with a marginal hand that will probably not call a raise if you raise.

It all depends on how you define solid.

edit: this is a great place to have perfect shania on the river with your raises.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:12 AM

I agree with the gambler. Solid BB is not betting the river with no pair. If he was going to make a play on you he would have done it on the turn with a raise. He probably has some small pocket pair and wants to get paid off. My guess is that he put you on big cards and will probably call if you raise. Raising might throw him off though it really depends on his hand reading skills. I would fold and be done with it.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way; I want to see this guy's cards.

SpaceAce
Old 12-14-2004, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had any pair he would have just check called

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were in the BB shoes, this is exactly how I would play a 7 (or PP) on this board....

His river bet comes from nowhere and really puts pressure on you to call...I really doubt a raise will fold his hand...It probably forces him to think, but if he's going to bet into you, he's going to call a raise....

I would make a crying call just to verify my thought process....
Old 12-14-2004, 06:05 AM

the best reason to call is for information. i don't think you'll win often enough to make the pot odds correct. i hate these types of situations. If BB is a solid player, he knows if would be very difficult to push you off of AK/AQ here so i think it's unlikely he's betting something worse than that. I probably call here but I think that's a leak of mine. I think this is a tough fold but you should make it anyway
Old 12-14-2004, 08:55 AM

What I mean by a good tricky player is if he reads me for having 2 over cards he is very capable of betting on the river without a pair. He knows it will be difficult for me to call with another player behind me.