Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Party SNG\'s

Okay, every noob eventually needs a semi-noob to point him in the right direction. I guess I'll take this one.

OP - read the FAQ pinned to the top of the thread list before making another post. Actually, read it before playing another hand. In it you will find a wealth of information, including "Which site should I play?" and "What's the best strategy?"

Then, and only then, post hands, accept feedback, give feedback, participate in this discussion forum. You'll be a better SNGer for it.

Now go!

...and when you are no longer a noob, don't be too mean to the noobs asking these questions.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bubble play at any structure is what's important, all else pales.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting idea, but it seems to me that it can't possibly be true, at least as far as the professional multi-table tournaments are concerned. A number of the pros seems to suck at bubble play, yet they do consistently well in the tournaments. I think what happens is they are so good at accumulating chips that they can get away with bubble play innacuracies.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your strategy for Party SNG's?

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus. you didn't just write that did you?
c

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, definitely wasn't me
Old 12-02-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, every noob eventually needs a semi-noob to point him in the right direction. I guess I'll take this one.

OP - read the FAQ pinned to the top of the thread list before making another post. Actually, read it before playing another hand. In it you will find a wealth of information, including "Which site should I play?" and "What's the best strategy?"

Then, and only then, post hands, accept feedback, give feedback, participate in this discussion forum. You'll be a better SNGer for it.

Now go!

...and when you are no longer a noob, don't be too mean to the noobs asking these questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Thank you, appreciated semi-noob
Old 12-02-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bubble play at any structure is what's important, all else pales.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting idea, but it seems to me that it can't possibly be true, at least as far as the professional multi-table tournaments are concerned. A number of the pros seems to suck at bubble play, yet they do consistently well in the tournaments. I think what happens is they are so good at accumulating chips that they can get away with bubble play innacuracies.

[/ QUOTE ]

im fairly certain he meant any structure of SNG

bubble play is obviously far less important in an MTT (although still very important).
Old 12-02-2005, 05:58 PM

OK, I'll try a serious answer to the OP...

Yes, theoretically deeper stacks favor the better player, as you will have more time to exert your skill edge over your opponents and "outplay" them. Makes sense. In fact that's why I stuck to Stars SNGs for a long time.

However, even though Party SNGs may be more of a crap shoot based on the smaller stack size, that is more than compensated by the added # of tournies you can play per hour (not to mention the horrendous level of the competition).

You may have a higher ITM% on Stars, but your $/hr will be higher on Party. It just makes sense to maximize your earnings per hour, if making money is the reason you play. If you are playing more for entertainment, and like the challenge of a longer tournament, then go ahead and play at Stars. But realize you are probably costing yourself money by doing it.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your strategy for Party SNG's?

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus. you didn't just write that did you?
c

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, definitely wasn't me

[/ QUOTE ]

mockery, I like it.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many party SNG's do you guys play at once?

[/ QUOTE ]

i limp 55 in ep

[/ QUOTE ]

I never get tired of these responses.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many party SNG's do you guys play at once?

[/ QUOTE ]

i limp 55 in ep

[/ QUOTE ]

I never get tired of these responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, although that was supposed to be a joke (although, seriously, i do), it was supposed to be in response to his strategy request. now its just a bit absurd [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].
Old 12-02-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, even though Party SNGs may be more of a crap shoot based on the smaller stack size, that is more than compensated by the added # of tournies you can play per hour (not to mention the horrendous level of the competition).

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not believe this is [entirely] correct. In fact, I get all bent when people describe Party SnGs as "crapshoots" (implying the near total-dominance of luck). If it were really a crapshoot, how could there be any long-term winners?

Playing high-blind short-stack events requires major strategic adjustments. For the most part, your opponents don't know how to make them. If you do, you have a significant edge over the competition--a skill edge.

An analogous (hypothetical) situation:

Let's say that instead of poker, we decided to play heads up "tournament craps." We each start with T1,000 and must have $10 in action every roll of the dice. Whoever goes broke first loses. This game is a "crapshoot," right? Not really. What if my opponent takes the "any seven" bet every roll. He will almost certainly lose if I play the pass line. I will win because I have the superior strategy. It ain't luck!